Living with the iPhone 3G

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I've had one for about 5 days now and there are some good points and some bad points

The Good

Activating it was simple and the phone was online from the moment it was in my hands - Given this was a band new contract with different number and new SIM this was incredibly quick (OK the last time I took out a new contract was in 2000 and it took 48 hours to activate - so it looks like things have moved on from that)

The interface is astounding. The way you can scroll and zoom is amazing

The screen is beautiful. It's hight res (163 ppi) and it makes reading small type fantastic.

Configuring it was simplicity itself. Within 5 minutes I had wireless and email functioning without even looking at the manual.

It has the best mobile browser I've ever seen - It's like browsing on computer.

GPS and the Maps application is really useful and fun

The not so good

The interface can sometimes bog down and can get a little laggy. By all accounts this is the new version 2 of the iPhone software and it also affects the original iPhones that have been upgraded.

Voice call quality is average - I keep an old Nokia 6310 as a spare and the call quality is far better on that, but then again I've never had another phone where the call quality was as good as on the 6310.

I'm constantly cleaning the damed thing - you only have to look at it and gets a finger print - use it and it becomes a smudgy mess.

Camera - yes it has one, 2MP and noisy as hell

Battery doesn't last long if you're always browsing, using the iPod etc, but if you treat it as purely a phone you'll get 3 days depending on usage

Virtual keyboard - OK it works and I've got better with it but I still can't blind text like I could on all my other phones and never will be able to

The Bad

You cant use it as a modem for your laptop! This is crazy because it should be perfectly possible to do this. While on a train this week I had to swap the SIM to the trusty old 6310 and use that to send a word document. Even weirder is that an application appeared on the iPhone application store to do this and then Apple pulled it. Rumour is this is something to do with AT&T not wanting this. This for me is not a deal breaker. I don't have to do this often, but the crazy thing is I have to now advise business customers, that use macs and dearly want an iPhone, not to buy one (I work for an apple dealership)

Email - yes it can send and receive email on a basic level, and apparently it works great with Google, Yahoo, and Mobile me mail accounts. But, I use a standard POP account and while it works there's no way to create alternative mailboxes on the iPhone. You know, a folder called "Mum" or "Work". You have to sync with one of these services to be able to do that. Even my old Psion revo could do this.

The downright ugly

"The Kill Switch" - Man this one's fantastic - Apple has the ability to Kill any downloaded program - even paid for in the Apple store that they suddenly take a dislike to. This has been widely documented and reported on a number of reliable tech sites and apple themselves have admitted this. From what I've read it works by the iPhone contacting apple and downloading a black list of applications. If an application you're using is on this list then bang it's gone, no explanation, just erased. I'm really

In conclusion.

If there's one word that sums up the iPhone then it's "FUN". It really is a fun toy and it's wonderful joy to use within its own limitations. However it's not a serious business tool - for that you still need either windows mobile or a blackberry. I also have the distinct impression that after the honeymoon period is over, and when everybody else has one that I'll start to think about buying something a bit more grown up. Anybody got a second hand Nokia N95? they want to sell ;)

Not my experience, but whatever...

I'm using email from my own domain, with full imap folder support, and I managed to nab the tethering program from the store before it went away, so the bad just isn't bad for me.

2.0.2 seemed to fix my lag issues, but I'm not used to a phone with any semblance of power anyways.

The kill switch...well, the official explanation is admirable (They hope to never have to use it, but in case a dangerous program gets released, to not have a failsafe is unacceptable). If that's actually how it pans out, then I have no problem with it, but I only trust apple as far as I can throw them, so we'll see.

As far as WinMo goes... powerful, and impossible to use. I never used 6.1, so I can't comment on it, but my mom's old smartphone ran it, and it was nothing but trouble. While someone like me (tech savvy) could get decent use out of it, she found herself not using most of the features because they were hidden in a mess of menus, or just too annoying to be of any use. In 2 years, the 3g on it only worked 3 times that I'm aware of. Then the phone broke.

I have an iPOD touch...which I think is the same thing...just without the phone capability or camera. I agree with all the non-phone points. It's cool and fun.

However it's not a serious business tool - for that you still need either windows mobile or a blackberry. I also have the distinct impression that after the honeymoon period is over, and when everybody else has one that I'll start to think about buying something a bit more grown up. Anybody got a second hand Nokia N95? they want to sell ;)

You summed it pretty accurately. There was another thread that discussed about "luddites" not accepting technological progress and such.... my feeling is that tools that try to do much end up not doing anything exceptional. My feeling is that the iPhone falls into this category... ah well... maybe the next generation after will be the one that convinces me...

I have to agree on the Nokias having good sound quality. The ones i have had are always strong and clear.

The 3G looks cool but I don't know, I thing when my phone contract is up in Nov, I will get a Samsung BlackJack and then maybe later when I replace my ipod I will get an itouch when they come down a little in price.

I have the first gen, and the sound quality is the best I've had in a phone yet. I've had all Nokia's, other than this, and my last phone which was a Sony Ericsson.

Yea, the Killswitch doesn't bother me at all. Like JWD said... If a bad app gets spread around, they have a failsafe for it.. Which I'm glad about, Cause if you have personal info on your phone.. It could have the ability to spread that to others.

I didn't like that I had to buy the OS upgrade for $10. I guess I didn't have to buy it, but a lot of apps need it.

I didn't like that I had to buy the OS upgrade for $10. I guess I didn't have to buy it, but a lot of apps need it.

Yeah, with the iPhone I didn't have to pay for the upgrade, but when I set up my little cousin Nicole's iTouch, I had to pay the $10. That kinda sucked, but she's having a blast with all the games I put on there. A lot of them are really good for hand-eye cooridination, as well as being good exercise for her brain. :)

Virtual keyboard - OK it works and I've got better with it but I still can't blind text like I could on all my other phones and never will be able to

I can blind email on my iPod Touch, HA!

Yeah, with the iPhone I didn't have to pay for the upgrade, but when I set up my little cousin Nicole's iTouch, I had to pay the $10. That kinda sucked, but she's having a blast with all the games I put on there. A lot of them are really good for hand-eye cooridination, as well as being good exercise for her brain. :)
I got those upgrades for free with my itouch because Target screwed up the pricing:D
They were selling all the non upgraded ones for $15 less then the upgraded ones. But they market the 8GB one wrong so I ended up paying $285 for an upgraded on instead of $300:D

I got those upgrades for free with my itouch because Target screwed up the pricing:D
They were selling all the non upgraded ones for $15 less then the upgraded ones. But they market the 8GB one wrong so I ended up paying $285 for an upgraded on instead of $300:D

Nice!

We got Nicole's at Target, too (where I happen to work! LOL) but paid full price.

I got a $30 Motorola I can understand the person on the other side when I have reception (which is most of the time more often than my dad with his blackberry) I'm happy with it... I have a D50 with the 50mm f1.8 I didn't spend as much as I needed to there due to a couple of control issues that makes me not happy.

Most reactions

Back