Living with the iPhone 3G

The money she had was in the form of a gift card . . . and with the problems we've had in recent months with an employee stealing money via gift card, and with another employee getting fired for stealing over $1000 in electronics, there was NO WAY I was taking any chances.

This hasn't been my experience with the iPhone 3G at all. I love it!
I'm a student on a typical boarding school campus, and it's a godsend to me. I'm constantly checking facebook, AIM, twitter etc etc, and my iPhone lets me check all these whenever I want. My campus is full 3G, and most of the buidlings have strong wireless- so I have no connectivity problems. I rarely ever talk on the phone, but I text often. It took some getting used to, but I can text very fast on the digital keyboard. It's auto-correct system is amazing.

So I never use mine for business reasons. It defiantley wouldnt be good for my dad who always uses his blackberry for businessy things, but it's great for me.

I also have a sick DoF calculator app in it too! I use it more often than you would think.

The in-phone camera is a bit suck- I admit, but it's better than most to be honest. I've gotten some really good photos from it if theres enough light. After that, It gets too noisy.

Doesn't anyone use cell phones for phone calls anymore?

My cell phone is great. I can make phone calls, and I can receive phone calls. And I'm not paying the equivalent to a car payment to do it. $7 per month....

I don't pay the equivalent to a car payment, either. ;)

I like having a device with me that allows me to:
make phone calls
text
browse the internet
get my emails immediately
listen to my entire music library
watch movies
keep track of my appointments and homework deadlines
play games
and . . . well, with the applications you can get now, the options are practically limitless.

LOVE my phone.

Yeah, after a few more days with it I must say it is the best phone that I've ever used.

It's effectively negated the need for me to carry a laptop for 80% of the things that I need a laptop for, and what it does, it does it extremely well, but there are still a few phone function related things which shows that Apple is still very much a beginner in this area.

An example - This weekend I got a text message from some body who was giving me somebody else's number. So I tried to do what I've done on every other phone that I've used and that is Options, Use number, select the number from the text, and add to contacts. Unfortunately the iPhone seems incapable of this not very often used, but very useful feature. I had to resort to pen and paper to write down the number and then manually enter it into my contacts - how high tech.

Eventually Apple will catch up with the rest of the handset manufacturers in terms of phone function but at the moment it still needs to take a few lessons from Nokia, Sony Ericsson and so on.

I suppose Apple makes computers with phones bolted on and Nokia makes phones with computers bolted on.

Still, I'm having fun with it and it is the best consumer phone on the market at the moment by a long way - Oh and by the way I'm not complaining simply for the sake of complaining, it's part of my job to find faults with new technology.

Yeah, after a few more days with it I must say it is the best phone that I've ever used.

It's effectively negated the need for me to carry a laptop for 80% of the things that I need a laptop for, and what it does, it does it extremely well, but there are still a few phone function related things which shows that Apple is still very much a beginner in this area.

An example - This weekend I got a text message from some body who was giving me somebody else's number. So I tried to do what I've done on every other phone that I've used and that is Options, Use number, select the number from the text, and add to contacts. Unfortunately the iPhone seems incapable of this not very often used, but very useful feature. I had to resort to pen and paper to write down the number and then manually enter it into my contacts - how high tech.

Eventually Apple will catch up with the rest of the handset manufacturers in terms of phone function but at the moment it still needs to take a few lessons from Nokia, Sony Ericsson and so on.

I suppose Apple makes computers with phones bolted on and Nokia makes phones with computers bolted on.

Still, I'm having fun with it and it is the best consumer phone on the market at the moment by a long way - Oh and by the way I'm not complaining simply for the sake of complaining, it's part of my job to find faults with new technology.

I didn't think this was right, so I checked it myself. You can easily put a phone number from your text messages into your phone. If you'll look, you should see a little arrow to the right of where the phone number is. Click on it, and it'll take you to an info page with that phone number at the top. Just click 'create new contact'.

;)

I didn't think this was right, so I checked it myself. You can easily put a phone number from your text messages into your phone. If you'll look, you should see a little arrow to the right of where the phone number is. Click on it, and it'll take you to an info page with that phone number at the top. Just click 'create new contact'.

;)

Now that is damned peculiar, I've just got my girlfriend to text me a phone number and it didn't work. Now often in this country phone numbers are annotated like this <0123456789>. So I've just done it with and without those brackets from my spare phone, and it works but only without the brackets - bit of a bummer that.

I was going to go into a rant about how Apple sometimes fails to look outside of the shores of America, but given that the world symbol next to the space bar on the keyboard makes it so easy for me to switch instantly between English and German I'll let them off - just this once ;). By the way how's the German going?

Hmm . . . that is weird. I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that you aren't in the US, so I didn't consider that as a possibility.

The German is going ok. It's certainly not an easy class!

Most reactions

Back