Long exposure portraits?

psreilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's the limitations for a long exposure portrait of someone? I've been reading up on alot of Paolo Roversi and he talks about how he uses long exposures for his portraits, he likes the feel. But how long can a portrait exposure be? Too long and you risk blur of course. I'm attaching an image of his his hopefully it will show, so you can help me break it down a bit. Thanks

also he uses continuous light of course. Mostly HMI, but quite a bit of sunlight

http://www.cuded.com/2012/12/paolo-roversi-on-the-mysteries-of-light/

Last edited:
But how long can a portrait exposure be?

Well that depends on the person trying to stay still.

Wet plate collodian exposures can regularly be several seconds and that method was used to photograph countless people.

I sat for a 10-12 second tin type that looked pretty good.

Thanks for the replies

You can make a long exposure if you use flash. The flash will illuminate and freeze the subject and you can control how much ambient light burns in via shutter speed, so you could go 30 seconds. The subject may still record some movement blur, but if you use rear curtain sync the flash will freeze the subject at the end of the exposure, recording the solid still image on top of any blur, rather than recording blur on top of the still frozen image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back