Longer Exposure

ranmyaku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jpgmag.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How can I get a exposure longer than 30s (the max by default) on a Nikon D50?

I've searched the net, but can't find anything.

I'm sure it has a manual shutter speed setting, and select "B" or "bulb". Specs sheets say the D50 has a bulb setting. Shutter will stay open for as long as the button is down, so you get a locking cable release.

Dave

The bulb setting is what you need. I don't shoot Nikon, so I don't know what you would do to use it, but with Canon, as soon as the shutter speed goes past 30s it is in bulb mode. You'll want to look at getting a locking remote, because the shutter button needs to be held down for the duration of the exposure.

I know at least with the D40 you can get the remote (in fact pretty much have to) and just click it to open the shutter and click it again to close it. Not sure about the D50 but I am sure it is similar.

yea, they are correct with the manual mode then B..

And also like stated above, i would recommend a remote shutter... best $20 ive spent :)

B mode isn't too useful since you'd need to hold the finger down. Although when used in B mode the remote works in an old outdated way T mode, press to expose, press to release. It's a necessity in any kit. My remote never leaves my camera case.

Bulb. In a Nikon camera, I'm pretty sure it says Bulb..I dono.

It's right past 30 Seconds.

Get a remote.

Oh, and you gotta be in manual.

B mode isn't too useful since you'd need to hold the finger down. Although when used in B mode the remote works in an old outdated way T mode, press to expose, press to release. It's a necessity in any kit. My remote never leaves my camera case.

?

I don't understand what you're saying here. B mode isn't too useful for longer exposures, so what other way do you get long exposures and why is it more useful?

Dave

B or Bulb mode requires you to hold your finger on the trigger. This is fine if you have a locking remote. The D200 remote trigger the camera and then can be locked in place, effectively holding down the button for you. Older style cable releases do the same thing.

What makes Bulb mode useless is when you don't have a locking remote. Holding your finger on the camera for a minute or so is likely to produce a blurry photo on all but the sturdiest of tripods.

What I was pointing out is that with the D40-D80 infrared remotes default to T mode. Now I'm not entirely sure what T means and I haven't actually seen this mode on any camera made since about 1970s, but the difference is you push the shutter button to expose, and then push it again when you're done. This is how the Nikon D40-D80 remotes work.

What I don't understand is which such a mode does not exist anymore on cameras when NOT using infrared remotes. I mean it would be a tiny software patch that could be written in an afternoon to add to the camera, and it would allow people to use DSLRs without cable releases for night-time photography.

It's important to learn some bit of useless information every day, consider this todays totally pointless lesson :D

My Pentax cameras have a shutter lock collar around the shutter button, which can be used to prevent tripping the shutter when you don't want to, or to lock it down in B mode. Like you say, simple enough that one wonders why any camera doesn't have something like it.

Kind of like a tripod though, if you're going to be taking long exposures you pretty much assume you're going to need some kind of remote release. I got your point though.

Dave

I just got my infrared remote today in the mail. I've played around a bit with it and it seems to be well worth the 20 bucks. thanks

bulb and a remote will allow the shutter to stay pen as long as you want it to with out touch the camera. At least thats what I do with my d50

I pretty sure the next question is how to minimize noise and hot pixels after the long exposure problem has been resolved.

om....maybe one more - how to get the color correct.

This was my first attempt with the new remote. Let me know what u think.

church_bst_web_ranmyaku.jpg

Most reactions

Back