Longer Exposure

What camera and lens did you use for this photo? It is very beautiful.

This is a nice pic, but its enhanced by the proper use of the crosshatch or starburst effect on the lights.

I tried to find it in CS3, but failed... anyone know if it is integrated or is that a plug-in?

Thanks!

I didn't edit anything in photoshop. Thats the way it came off the camera, except for white balance and curves.

I didn't use a filter either.

Nikon D50
tripod + remote
kit lens

I'm on my laptop and don't have the original exif data but if i remember correctly it was about a 2 min exposure at f16 or 22.

This is a nice pic, but its enhanced by the proper use of the crosshatch or starburst effect on the lights.

I tried to find it in CS3, but failed... anyone know if it is integrated or is that a plug-in?

Thanks!

"Starburst" effect is the (natural) result of a small aperature.

Dave

"Starburst" effect is the (natural) result of a small aperature.

Not the kind we see in the picture of the church and moon (though it is a beautiful pic!). I have a 30mm F/1.4 and have pics that range from 1/2 to 3 seconds and none will splay out light in different sized star shapped patterns in similar strength lights like this pic does. I have seen a tool about 2 years ago in an earlier photoshop that did just this, but I cannot recall if it was a plug-in or part of the package.

Perhaps ranmyaku will share with us if they are or not. :D

I still have an old Cokin filter from my film days that had a star effect. Maybe I'll dig it out now...

Not the kind we see in the picture of the church and moon (though it is a beautiful pic!). I have a 30mm F/1.4 and have pics that range from 1/2 to 3 seconds and none will splay out light in different sized star shapped patterns in similar strength lights like this pic does. I have seen a tool about 2 years ago in an earlier photoshop that did just this, but I cannot recall if it was a plug-in or part of the package.

Yes, the kind we see in the picture of the church. Use an extremely small aperture (not shutter) and you should get that effect.

I guess f/16 is a safe bet for a "starburst" effect.

With a large aperture such as f/2.8 you get a halo, instead of a star. The star effect is caused by light reflecting off the aperture blades, hence you can count the amount of aperture blades in your lens by counting the rays. I don't think there are lenses with perfectly circular apertures, maybe lenses with a fixed aperture.

For 3 second exposures you are not using a very small aperature, and with a 30/1.4 lens your smallest aperature is probably f16, although that should do it. Try shooting (with a different lens) at f22 or f32 and let us know if you get the star effect. There was star effect long before there were plugins for photoshop...

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back