lookin to pick-up photography.....

Mr.Jack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im lookin to pick up photoghraphy..its somethin ive always wanted to do but i wanted some suggestions as to what camera i should get and some tips for an aspiring photography like me

Mr.Jack said:
and some tips for an aspiring photography like me
Well, ive never met an actual aspiring photography before, but welcome anyway. :)

Im just playing. But really, welcome to the forum. I am sure you will meet a lot of people here who will help you along every step of the way. I know I sure am meeting these people. As for what kind of camera, i have ideas, but I'll leave it up to the more experienced to answer that. They can help you loads more than i ever can.

Hello Mr Jack, welcome to TPF!

The way to start is pretty much agreed here: Get an SLR with fully manual capability and a 50mm standard lens. It can be either new expensive and digital, or very cheap, second-hand and 35mm film. Both have pros and cons, but film is an ideal way to start as you can back out without losing much cash.

The entry level digital SLR cameras which many would recommend are the Nikon D50 and the Canon EOS350D.

As for film cameras there are literally hundreds of good models/brands to choose from.

With both of the above, I recommend getting a 50mm f1.8 fixed lens. It's flexible, easy to operate and see through and doesn't confuse.

For 35mm film cameras, I would say consider the following:

Nikon FM2a, FM3a or anything beginning F, Nikkormat
Canon AE-1
Pentax K-1000, Spotmatic
Olympus OM series

Rob

I would start probably with a Canon Digital Rebel XT and upgrade from there :) As for tips and tricks you should pick up [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0817463003/002-9557700-7412849"]this book[/ame].

what type photography are you interested in?
do you lean towards conventional darkroom results or would you tend to play a lot in photo-editing software?

If you ever ask the question 'what camera should I buy?' the answer you tend to get from most people is the camera that they like. This may well not be the right one for you.
The only question you need to ask yourself is 'digital or film?'.
You appear to have answered this because you want to go darkroom.
The only advice that is of any value to you now is:
Go into camera shops. Pick up and handle every film SLR they have, both new and second hand. Don't look at the make or price. Sooner or later you will pick up one that feels 'right' - buy it.

All cameras feel and handle differently. It is essential that you find a camera that feels comfortable. If you get a camera that you are awkward with then you will be thinking more about what you are doing with it than about your pictures.
Your camera is an extension of you and should feel like a part of you.

Hertz has it right as always.

If you shoot film, it really doesn't matter what camera you have, except for the little things. It just holds the film inside.

The little things are:
Electronic vs mechanical
Autofocus vs manual focus
different metering modes
quality of the viewfinder
weight and build of the camera
looks
size
brand (your penis feels larger if you own a canon or nikon, as opposed to owning a vivitar or dirkon)

Go bug the salesman, but leave the money/cards at home.

Most reactions

Back