Looking for a film camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by apples, Mar 7, 2012.

1. apples

apples TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Needless to say, I grew up in the digital age and only have experience with digital cameras. But I really want to get a film camera to pack along with me, mainly for the experience of using film and composing with the threat of a limit on my snaps.

that said, I have no idea what film camera to get. I've been looking at old Yashicas and OM-10s and Nikon FGs on ebay, but I really don't know whats a decent camera + condition and if it's even viable to shoot with those older models (i do love the look though) - since film tech probably changed along the way. So, i ask you, what's a good starting camera that will get the job done without breaking the bank?

if this is in the wrong section, Mods can move it if you like ;)

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you shoot with now? It would make sense to get a camera to go with your current lenses.

3. apples

apples TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot with a t3i atm. Getting a 50mm f/1.4 this weekend too :)

4. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have those lenses have a look at the EOS5

5. apples

apples TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Im not totally vested in canon gear so keeping a system isnt priority. The EOS looks pretty much like my dslr but with film. Id really like a camera that would let me learn basics without too much camera help. Or so they say...Anyone buy one from ebay and know whats sketchy or not?

6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I also have one of these, it does no meter or focus so you have to set everything,i also have a Mamiya C330 MF camera
    [​IMG]

7. snowbear

snowbear Oh Hai I iz Bear! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I bought two Nikon film bodies (F90, N90s) off eBay a while back. The F90 was from an Ontario-based discount chain; the seller of the N90s had a very good rating with a lot of sales.

You might want to look through KEH, Adorama and B&H to see what they have.

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you're not stuck on staying with Canon, I'd look at a Pentax K1000, IMO, the all-time best value-for-the-money, fully manual, metered 35mm body ever. There are hundreds of legacy lenses that can be picked up for a song... a body, 3-4 lenses and odds & ends can likely be found for not much over $100. In Canon's line, the AE-1 or AE-1 program ('though I'm unsure of lens compatibility) would be my bodies of choice.

9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get an EOS 3 and a 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4. Dirt cheap, awesome AF (second only to the 1-series).

Send the film to Richard Photo Lab in LA, and you'll start using less and less of your T3i.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a minolta srt-101 with a 50mm f1.4 Rokkor lens. If you get lucky you could find one on ebay for about $50 with a f1.4 lens. Most of the time you will only see the f1.7 lenses which are okay but I like having the extra stop.

Here are a couple of shots I took with it. This is the first time I had any pics developed with it.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...my-first-film-scans-my-minolta-srt-101-a.html

11. apples

apples TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ive been looking at some older rangefinder models, like the electro 35 gsn and minolta hi matic 7s. one obvious question for me is how i get batteries for them? or do you guys just always shoot without them and use the crank thingy...

I think I want something totally different than my dslr right now, thus rangefinders.

12. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

You can get a battery adapter for the Electro 35 from Yashica-Guy Yashica Battery Adapter. You should know though that while the Electro is a nice camera with an awesome lens, it's 100% aperture priority and won't work without a battery (well, it will, but only one shutter speed). You can't adjust anything else, other than ISO/ASA. If you want to go the old rangefinder route, i'd choose the Canonet QL17 GIII over the Yashica for the extra control you get, plus the meter, while not ttl, is 'inside' the filter ring, so you wouldn't have to make adjustments if you use a filter. A battery for the Canonet can be found at freestylephoto. (wein cell px625)

I assume your budget is low judging from the cameras you're mentioning. I personally really like the Canonet. It was my gateway drug for my Leica. However, the K1000 that tirediron mentioned is an awesome camera/cost ratio.

My canonet set
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhop73/sets/72157604198989598/