Looking for a film camera

apples

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Needless to say, I grew up in the digital age and only have experience with digital cameras. But I really want to get a film camera to pack along with me, mainly for the experience of using film and composing with the threat of a limit on my snaps.

that said, I have no idea what film camera to get. I've been looking at old Yashicas and OM-10s and Nikon FGs on ebay, but I really don't know whats a decent camera + condition and if it's even viable to shoot with those older models (i do love the look though) - since film tech probably changed along the way. So, i ask you, what's a good starting camera that will get the job done without breaking the bank?

if this is in the wrong section, Mods can move it if you like ;)

What do you shoot with now? It would make sense to get a camera to go with your current lenses.

I shoot with a t3i atm. Getting a 50mm f/1.4 this weekend too :)

Im not totally vested in canon gear so keeping a system isnt priority. The EOS looks pretty much like my dslr but with film. Id really like a camera that would let me learn basics without too much camera help. Or so they say...Anyone buy one from ebay and know whats sketchy or not?

Im not totally vested in canon gear so keeping a system isnt priority. The EOS looks pretty much like my dslr but with film. Id really like a camera that would let me learn basics without too much camera help. Or so they say...Anyone buy one from ebay and know whats sketchy or not?

I also have one of these, it does no meter or focus so you have to set everything,i also have a Mamiya C330 MF camera
IMG5663upload-L.jpg

I bought two Nikon film bodies (F90, N90s) off eBay a while back. The F90 was from an Ontario-based discount chain; the seller of the N90s had a very good rating with a lot of sales.

You might want to look through KEH, Adorama and B&H to see what they have.

If you're not stuck on staying with Canon, I'd look at a Pentax K1000, IMO, the all-time best value-for-the-money, fully manual, metered 35mm body ever. There are hundreds of legacy lenses that can be picked up for a song... a body, 3-4 lenses and odds & ends can likely be found for not much over $100. In Canon's line, the AE-1 or AE-1 program ('though I'm unsure of lens compatibility) would be my bodies of choice.

Get an EOS 3 and a 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4. Dirt cheap, awesome AF (second only to the 1-series).

Send the film to Richard Photo Lab in LA, and you'll start using less and less of your T3i.

I use a minolta srt-101 with a 50mm f1.4 Rokkor lens. If you get lucky you could find one on ebay for about $50 with a f1.4 lens. Most of the time you will only see the f1.7 lenses which are okay but I like having the extra stop.

Here are a couple of shots I took with it. This is the first time I had any pics developed with it.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...my-first-film-scans-my-minolta-srt-101-a.html

ive been looking at some older rangefinder models, like the electro 35 gsn and minolta hi matic 7s. one obvious question for me is how i get batteries for them? or do you guys just always shoot without them and use the crank thingy...

I think I want something totally different than my dslr right now, thus rangefinders.

ive been looking at some older rangefinder models, like the electro 35 gsn and minolta hi matic 7s. one obvious question for me is how i get batteries for them? or do you guys just always shoot without them and use the crank thingy...

I think I want something totally different than my dslr right now, thus rangefinders.

You can get a battery adapter for the Electro 35 from Yashica-Guy Yashica Battery Adapter. You should know though that while the Electro is a nice camera with an awesome lens, it's 100% aperture priority and won't work without a battery (well, it will, but only one shutter speed). You can't adjust anything else, other than ISO/ASA. If you want to go the old rangefinder route, i'd choose the Canonet QL17 GIII over the Yashica for the extra control you get, plus the meter, while not ttl, is 'inside' the filter ring, so you wouldn't have to make adjustments if you use a filter. A battery for the Canonet can be found at freestylephoto. (wein cell px625)

I assume your budget is low judging from the cameras you're mentioning. I personally really like the Canonet. It was my gateway drug for my Leica. However, the K1000 that tirediron mentioned is an awesome camera/cost ratio.

My canonet set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhop73/sets/72157604198989598/

thanks for all the help in the selection. i'll see what i can get soon :)

sooo, you guys have your own dark rooms?

Some might call the Olympus 35 SP the King of Budget Rangefinders. It features a G.Zuiko 42mm/1.7 lens (the G comes from it having seven lens elements). This lens is said to be the superior one in the 35 series. This camera also features a spot meter. Not even Leica rangefinders of the era featured that, and it works brilliantly.

The camera has a mechanical leaf shutter. This means you have synced exposures with your flash at all shutter speed the camera offers (up to 1/500th of a second). Also, and an important thing (imo) is that since the shutter is mechanical, you can take pictures without any batteries. Only the meter uses batteries. Originally it used the 1.35V Hg batteries. These are illegal, but there are replacement 1.35V air-zink cell batteries readily available on ebay (and maybe a good local camera store).

You can't switch lenses on this camera without modifying the whole body, so in practice you can't switch lenses. 42mm is a very usable focal length, but it has it's (many) limitations.

The meter on this camera uses a scale of EV numbers, ranging from 3-17 (17 being direct, bright sunlight, 3 being very, very dimly lit indoors). This is probably a way of exposing you're not used to, but only good can come from learning this. As it seems, I have yet to master this. My negatives are anything but consistent. However, I appreciate the way I'm starting to read light in EV numbers as I'm outside. "This looks like 16, but in that open shadow I'd guess something like 14-15". Here come to pics of the camera, front and back.

Front 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Back by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Last edited:

Get a camera that does not need batteries so when it really cold and you digital packs up you can still shoot your film camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back