Looking for a new lens

The 50mm 1.8 is still a nice lens especially for the price. It will also hold its value well, so if you start with it and end up wanting to upgrade in a year or two, you can resell the 1.8, for maybe $20 less than you paid new.

Yeah that's what I noticed on Ebay. I bought the 1.8 from B&H yesterday! Thanks again for all you help.

50mm on a 1.6x Canon body is like a 80mm on a FF body. So that's definitely a great focal length for portraits. I am amazed how well you were able to control the DOF. Did you shoot wide open at 1.8 or did you step it down some? Really great subject isolation.

if you're talking to me, those are all at f2.5

shooting at f1.8 is tricky. the slightest movement by me or the subject makes for an out of focus shot, and since everyone was moving around so much, I decided to stop down a bit.

I had the 50mm 1.4, it was a great lens, but I have a Full Frame sensor, so I had to be really close to the subject, and which meant the lights/flash had to be very close too. I sold it off, for that reason, and plan on eventually replacing it with the 85mm.

It was a spectacular lens though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back