Looking for an older DSLR

Oldschool92'

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I've been wanting to get a DSLR but I don't have the money to fork over for a newer DSLR. So therefore I am looking for an older one. What models/brands would you recommend? I'm not very picky as long as its a good company/camera and as long as it has a good variety of accessories.

Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

budget?

If you don't mind manual focus lenses, you might want to consider a body that is compatible with previous lenses (and not via an adapter). Manual focus primes (dont' really like old zooms) bring much value.

I would look at a Pentax K10D or K100D because they have in body stabilization which also keeps the cost of lenses down (also stabilizes older manual lenses too).

A used Canon 20D or a used Nikon D40 would probably be low cost, and will have a lot of accessories available. Both those bodies have decent sensors and decent feature sets and were wildly popular, so there are lots of them on the market.

I have a sony alpha a100. Works well for me, and can be had for less than $300.

Took a look at all of them online, but, I still can't decide which one to go with. I don't really care for the Sony since the canon and nikon have a larger selection of lenses. The canon 20D I found for only $135 (the body only).

I don't really care for the Sony since the canon and nikon have a larger selection of lenses.

And a larger variety of accessories.
Still...Sony is improving on that front with more lenses and accessories as they go along - just a thought

Never thought about that, good point. Oh and it turns out the canon I found needs repair.

Well, at the beginning I was not much one for Sony to be honest, but then, a while ago I got a good deal on the A700 and must say, I love that camera ;)

And lenses, sure, even now, Sony is behind Canon and Nikon, but don't know, for what I need they seem to have a nice product variety on hand.

What is the budget? Could give a better idea...

Another very good point, Eh budget wise pretty darn cheap. The most I could probably spend is $300, but I'm also fine with just buying a camera body now and getting a lens later when I have enough money.

300 is a good budget, for an older camera model.
I would suggest to look at some refurbished models / second hand models IF you have an eye for it, or know someone who can come along and make sure, that they are in mint condition.

I'd try to get a lens with it, as a DSLR without a lens will not get you far ;)

Yeah thats about all I could find was used ones, but thats fine with me. I'll keep that in mind then haha, if the price is right I'll get one that has a lens. Theres a camera shop I go to that does trade-ins so I'll probably do that to get some extra mulla. They have a couple canons,Nikons, and Pentax's, and they only sell used equipment if it's actually in good condition.

budget?

If you don't mind manual focus lenses, you might want to consider a body that is compatible with previous lenses (and not via an adapter). Manual focus primes (dont' really like old zooms) bring much value.

I would look at a Pentax K10D or K100D because they have in body stabilization which also keeps the cost of lenses down (also stabilizes older manual lenses too).

I agree completely. Pentax's backwards compatibility with there older lens is really nice. You can get Pentax-A manual focus lens on ebay for cheap. Like a 50mm F2 for $40. LIke usayit said look for a K100D, *ist DL, K110D, or Samsung GX-1L(same as a *ist DL just with Samsung name on it)

Hmm okay, sounds good to me, thanks for the input.

Fuji s3 pro, takes nikon lens/flash/accessories and provides excellent results, its based on a nikon body and is a great tool. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back