Looking for Camera buying advice

Here is a good explanation of a sensor filter array that does not have a anti-aliasing function:
Non-low-pass filters explained: Goodbye to anti-aliasing? | TechRadar

. . . The benefit of leaving off the filter is that the camera is able to record a little more detail and produce slightly sharper images, with less need for post-capture sharpening. . .
. . . Rather than simply omitting the anti-aliasing filter when building a digital camera, manufacturers have to use a filter that doesn't have the normal anti-aliasing properties, but still retains the ability to block infrared light, for example. So a new filter design is required. . .

You have a nice budget, so you (or she) will get a great setup I am sure.

I'm pretty agnostic to manufacturers (Canon vs Nikon vs Sony) - I shoot Sony myself and love it. In most cases, it's more preference than anything else as they are all fantastic. I'll keep my suggestions general to give you direction as opposed to getting into a specific recommendation since there are so many to choose from. Hopefully my suggestions will get you going in the right direction.

My biggest advice is to pay the most attention to the lens selection (even more than the camera). Example, you would get a better image with a $2000 lens on a $200 camera, then you would with a $200 lens on a $2000 camera. I'm not suggesting you buy a $200 camera, but my point is you would be better in the long run spending more on your lenses than on your camera body. Camera body's typically get replaced every 2 - 5 years where as a high quality lens could last decades. Perhaps allocate about $750 to the camera and $1250 to the lenses.

Since you said she will primarily take photos of the kids, I would suggest getting 2 (maybe 3) lenses if possible. I have 3 young kids myself, and here is what I use the most.
- 24-70mm f2.8 (For your budget, you might need to buy a Sigma lens instead of Nikon / Canon / Sony to get this quality of a lens, but that would still be a great lens in my opinion). I use this focal range the most with my kids for around the house / playground type shots
- 70 - 200mm (you won't be able to get a f2.8 within your budget, but even a f4 - 5.6 variable aperture lense of this range will give you good results). It will be important to have this option because this lens will make for great sports shots, and portraits.
- 50mm prime lens (f1.8) - this is the most cost efficient lens that is high quality. Also, the 50mm is a great lens to learn with because it can go to a low aperture (f1.8) which will allow her to explore different creative shots with depth of field, etc. You can get a good 50mm for about $200.

If you can get those 3 lenses and a camera with your $2000 budget, she will have everything she needs.

Last tip - don't be afraid to shop used! You can save a lot buying used. Shop through a reputable dealer like www.bhphotovideo.com in their used section and you will get some great deals compared to buying new. I bought my cameras new, but my lenses used (in most cases).

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back