Looking for my first tripod

DrumsOfGrohl

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to photography, so I'm still discovering new styles of photography that pique my interest. I have a Canon Rebel T5, and my heaviest lens is the kit lens (total weight is about 22.38 oz. / 634g).

So far, I don't do any portrait work (but I'd eventually like to try it), but I've found myself wishing I had a tripod for landscapes, bodies of water, citiscapes, home photos, and long exposures. I've ended up trying to balance my camera on walls, or rocky floors, and I'm worried I'm going to end up scratching (or destroying) my camera without a tripod.

As cheap as possible would be my budget, but I don't want crap. I've seen some $40 dollar tripods online and on CL, but I know they're not going to last, or they wont support my camera much at all.
If I could get one under $100, I'd be happy, but I don't want to break $200.

I don't shoot in extreme cold, and I'd be okay if I couldn't use my tripod in very windy conditions. (I'll upgrade when I get to that point).

Any suggestions?

I'm new to photography, so I'm still discovering new styles of photography that pique my interest. I have a Canon Rebel T5, and my heaviest lens is the kit lens (total weight is about 22.38 oz. / 634g).

So far, I don't do any portrait work (but I'd eventually like to try it), but I've found myself wishing I had a tripod for landscapes, bodies of water, citiscapes, home photos, and long exposures. I've ended up trying to balance my camera on walls, or rocky floors, and I'm worried I'm going to end up scratching (or destroying) my camera without a tripod.

As cheap as possible would be my budget, but I don't want crap. I've seen some $40 dollar tripods online and on CL, but I know they're not going to last, or they wont support my camera much at all.
If I could get one under $100, I'd be happy, but I don't want to break $200.

I don't shoot in extreme cold, and I'd be okay if I couldn't use my tripod in very windy conditions. (I'll upgrade when I get to that point).

Any suggestions?

Well, actually my suggestion would be to take a look at one of these:

Amazon.com : AmazonBasics 70-Inch Pistol Grip Tripod with Bag : Camera Tripods : Camera & Photo

This thing is not lightweight, it's a tank - and it's built like a tank. But if you don't mind lugging it around it's about as solid as your going to get for the money.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well first I can't believe your question has been on here for 3 hours and no one posted this yet... Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan (Im not a "Thom" fan)

Ironically the tripod that Robbins linked to is the same one I have. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and it still works even though I leave it outside all winter...

It is a big heavy monster, but it does work. It holds my 1d4 and 500 f4 (11#) not great, but it keeps it in place while I'm running FoCal.

So I had a Dolica Proline 62 inch for 3 years before it suffered a loose leg section that just wouldn't stay extended. Its the one in my profile picture and its around $50 with a decent ball head that held my 7dii with a 70-200 easily. But.... after 3 years I needed to replace it. Its not small but its reasonably lightweight.

I now have a Mefoto Roadtrip which comes in at just under $200

For me, I need a tripod that I can hike with so weight is always a deciding factor. The Dolica served me well for 3 years so I don't feel like it was wasted money. Now, if I didn't have to hike around with my tripod... I probably would have gotten something more substantial.

Hey guys thanks for the input. I totally understand Thoms's 'Maxims,' I just don't have $800 to spend right now. Its the same reason I'm driving around in a cheap car. Obviously, in the long run, I'm spending more money, but its what my situation allows me.

I'm not a big hiker, so I feel like I don't really need something lightweight. But at the same time, before I started photography, I didn't love going to weird places where I might get some cool photos either. Is it unrealistic to find something in between the RoadTrip and the monster pistolgrip, especially in my price range? Am I asking to have my cake and eat it too?

Do you guys have separate tripods? Meaning if I find out that I'm all about hiking in the next year, would I be more likely to try to replace a heavy tripod, or just add a secondary tripod for hiking?

At the moment, I'm inclined to grab that Pistolgrip, if for no reason other than price and the favorable reviews...

Any tripod is better than hand held - you don't need the best in order to do OK. I use a Velbon which is not to heavy and is quite stable - not top of the range but eminently useable. It cost around 125 GBP.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Hey guys thanks for the input. I totally understand Thoms's 'Maxims,' I just don't have $800 to spend right now. Its the same reason I'm driving around in a cheap car. Obviously, in the long run, I'm spending more money, but its what my situation allows me.

I'm not a big hiker, so I feel like I don't really need something lightweight. But at the same time, before I started photography, I didn't love going to weird places where I might get some cool photos either. Is it unrealistic to find something in between the RoadTrip and the monster pistolgrip, especially in my price range? Am I asking to have my cake and eat it too?

Do you guys have separate tripods? Meaning if I find out that I'm all about hiking in the next year, would I be more likely to try to replace a heavy tripod, or just add a secondary tripod for hiking?

At the moment, I'm inclined to grab that Pistolgrip, if for no reason other than price and the favorable reviews...

I use my tripod maybe once or twice a year, if that. The only shots I need a tripod for are long exposure shots, which are few and far between for me. So I have the one, it sit's in the closet gathering dust until the once in a blue moon thing rolls around, then it goes back into the closet again.

Your choices in tripods are durable construction but it weighs a ton, Lightweight and somewhat flimsy construction, or Lightweight + Durable which is also major $$$.

I haven't really found much in between myself.

I use my tripod maybe once or twice a year, if that. The only shots I need a tripod for are long exposure shots, which are few and far between for me. So I have the one, it sit's in the closet gathering dust until the once in a blue moon thing rolls around, then it goes back into the closet again.

Your choices in tripods are durable construction but it weighs a ton, Lightweight and somewhat flimsy construction, or Lightweight + Durable which is also major $$$.

I haven't really found much in between myself.
Thats the thing I want to make sure doesn't happen. You think if you had a more lightweight tripod you might be more inclined to take it out of the closet more often? The same reason that I did not shoot (unintended pun) for a rediculously expensive and fantastic camera, is the reason I don't want to pay too much for a tripod and never use it. I was not expecting to be as excited about photography as I am before I bought a camera. There are too many people I know that spent a ton of money on a camera and never use it (or use it on Automatic, and then claim their iphone takes better photos). I want to make sure I don't buy a really nice tripod and let it gather dust.

Any suggestions on keeping with it (other than just bringing it everywhere I go)?

Well first I can't believe your question has been on here for 3 hours and no one posted this yet... Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan (Im not a "Thom" fan)

Ironically the tripod that Robbins linked to is the same one I have. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and it still works even though I leave it outside all winter...

It is a big heavy monster, but it does work. It holds my 1d4 and 500 f4 (11#) not great, but it keeps it in place while I'm running FoCal.
I'll see your 3 or 4 years and raise it by 34. Only thing I have done is changed the head a few years back. It's old, well used. sturdy as a rock and worth every penny I paid for it new, which would probably be in the $400.00 range today.

Thing is, if you are serious about this, it is worth it to make the investment. Frankly, I can't imagine that Austin, being the little back water dirt street town that it is, doesn't have a brick and mortar photography store. That is the first place I would look. Your money could go a long way towards a really good used tripod.

Last edited:
Thats the thing I want to make sure doesn't happen. You think if you had a more lightweight tripod you might be more inclined to take it out of the closet more often?

In a word? No... lol. Don't really need one for the vast majority of the photography I do, most of what I shoot is action shots so at the shutter speeds I need to use to get good, clear photo's a tripod becomes superfluous. Even when I do shoot landscapes there really isn't much need for a tripod unless I need to do a long exposure - which honestly isn't the sort of shot I do all that often. Everything else I can shoot handheld.

My suggestion? Unless you really think you want to shoot long exposures often, don't bother with a tripod to start with until you really think your at a point where you need one because you find yourself saying, well if I had a tripod with me I could get this shot I can't get without it...

I bought a Vanguard Abeo + with the same budget. $400 tripod for $199! They are discontinuing them I believe. Not sure what's available currently.

A nice tripod and head is worth every cent!

The dang thing will stand up to a 50 mph crosswind with no weight attached. Yup, it's a monster.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back