Looking for suggestions on a tripod fitting my needs

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there!

Here it is, another thread asking for help choosing a tripod hahaha... Anyway, I've been reading and doing my research but still cannot decide, so I kinda need help on that if you please :)

- The weight is important to me, cause I travel quite a bit and mostly like to go shoot outside. So I'd go with carbon fiber, but the price almost doubles -at least- here in my city. But, on the other hand, not too sure about the aluminium ones for the weight.

- I'd like to get the head and legs separated, so I can choose the head I want which is a ball head BTW. But I understand that option probably exceeds my budget.

- Locking system for the leg sections I think both flip-locks and twist-locks would be ok... although maybe the twist-locks sound more interesting for long hikes :)

Now, it's hard to say a budget cause the prices here are different than in the US, but let's say 400-500U$s and praying for it to be more around 300U$s haha...
Any suggestions? I've got one or two in mind, but I'd prefer not to focus on those and rather hear alternatives.

I appreciate you taking the time to read another boring post about someone asking for a tripod. :)
Thanks!!

Regards,
Martin

Hang out on Craig's List; I routinely see Manfrotto 055 and 190 legs going for <$100, and RC68 heads for ~$150. Granted, CF will add a dollar or two to the final price, but you'll still get a LOT more for your money buying used. $300 - 350 used should get you into a GOOD tripod and head.

Unfortunately there are no Craig's List here, but I went to several local stores selling used gear and didn't find any good deal so far.
I'm thinking about a Manfrotto 190 because the Gitzos seem to be more expensive.

Well, I got a 190 and I love it. I looked at Gitzos one when I was buying and didn't see the point of double the price. It was slightly lighter than manfrottos but "too light" is no good either. I think it's the brand, kinda like a Nissan GTR that can smoke a Ferrari and costs a quarter of the price, yet Ferrari is more "prestigious" because a fool has to have deeper pockets to buy one.

I love the Manfrotto legs, and I use a plain ball head (no quick release), which is much less expensive. If you aren't in the habit of removing the camera from the head a lot, then you won't miss the quick release. I figure that if I'm going out with a tripod, then I'm using it all the time. Once in a while I need to shoot at a strange angle the tripod won't allow, so I hold the camera and tuck the legs under my arm and they help steady the camera. The one I have is the 496, which is probably overkill unless you have a very large heavy lens (I don't). It cost about $75. I think the next smaller one (there were about four) was about $60-65.

These are the tripods I use:

Old Velbon table top and low level tripod 1 pound 8 oz.

Manfrotto carbon fiber travel tripod #7322CY-BB 2 pounds 13 oz.

Manfrotto aluminum travel tripod # MT293A4 Just under 4 pounds (63.35 oz.)

Tiltall

Tiltall full size aluminum tripod 6 pounds. Great all around heavy duty tripod. Heavy enough to be used for 4 x 5 view cameras. It is a real bargain at about $100 new. The old ones were US made. Now they are from China. Quality seems to still be good. Just the feet spikes are a little different and not to my liking as much as the original Tiltall.

The only reason I am using the Manfrotto aluminum travel tripod is the carbon fiber 2.80 pounders are extinct. The alum Manfrotto seem sturdier than the carbon fiber. They also allow leg lock adjustments that the carbon fiber tripod does not seem to allow. So I use the CF tripods for hiking or air travel and use the heavier alum travel tripod for car trips and such.

Sad there is no continuity nowadays. You get something you like and it goes extinct quick as hell. Well, I guess they need to keep all the engineers working! So, I have back up copies of most of these tripods in case one breaks or goes lost.

So, that Giottos CF is $390 while a very similar model a little shorter but made of aluminium is about $200... Now, one would think the weight would be a problem, but they are both about 3.5lbs... So can someone tell me why would I go and pay double for the CF model? What's the point if they're both of a similar weight?

Here you have both models in case you want to take a quick look.
Giottos VGR8265-M2C Carbon Fiber Tripod/Monopod W/QR VGR8265-M2C
Giottos VGR9254-S2C Aluminum Tripod/Monopod W/QR VGR9254-S2C B&H

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something... but I'd be really happy if I could save those 200 bucks (which would end up being around $350 with all the customs tax here in Argentina)

Thanks in advance!

Well for one thing.. the more C/F one has a much higher weight limit.. 13 lbs vs. 8lbs for the aluminum one. That alone indicates more rigidity, and strength... which translates into less camera movement (which is why we use tripods, yes?)

Alright, I hear you.

Now, the final price to get to Buenos Aires that Giottos CF you originally suggested is about $880. And today I found a store where I can get this Manfrotto Legs + Head for about $1000 and I'm really tempted. Plus, I wouldn't have to wait for 2-3 weeks to get it here and also have local warranty. Anyway, It's gonna be one of these 2, most likely the Manfrotto.

Thank you very much for your time and comments and have a nice day!
Regards,
Martin

If you like to adjust your exposure settings, use a telephoto lens, or if you just want to experiment with the manual settings on your SLR, then you need a tripod. A tripod is especially important if you enjoy macro photography, landscape photography, night photography and portraiture photography due to longer exposures.

Aluminium legs are fine, carbon fiber are also fine and are better than Al in that they dampen vibration better (and as mentioned are a bit sturdier) and wooden legs are fine too, although they are heavier and bulkier but are best at dampening vibration.

You didn't say what situations you wanted the tripod for, which makes a difference. In a studio setting or around the house an aluminium tripod will be all you'd need, if you're going to shoot LF then I'd say to get a wooden one, if you're going backpacking or will be near heavy traffic then it's CF.

HTH

Most reactions

Back