Looking for tiny desk tripod

vigilante

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been hunting around Amazon but not finding much.

I need a way to use a tripod as a means of having:

1) Sturdy base.
2) Consistent elevation of shots over time.

Normally I use flashes so I just hold the camera freehand at 1/160 to 1/200. But now I need to do a series of shots over a long period of time and they all need a level of consistency between them in how the product is set up.

So that said, I want to ditch the handheld shooting and get a tripod. Problem is, I do this on a table top and typically hold the camera just 3 to 5 inches off the table using my elbows for elevation. I haven't found a tripod or base which is that short. It obviously does not need to extend very long.

I could just set the camera on a few books if I had to, but the point is to have a way to recreate the shots over time. A simple little stand which is locked in at a certain height would be great. I don't want stands with those bendy, adjustable arms as this doesn't let me create a consistent height that is locked in.

Any ideas?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Could just use a regular tripod on the floor next to the table ?

Thought about it, but since it would have to sit in the same position as me in my chair....space is tight, it would be awkward.
Plus it would not be as easy to have a set height, because I'd have to set the leg length exactly the same, the spread would have to be the same, the top vertical adjustment, etc.

I would rather have the tabletop style which I can literally keep in the camera bag.

If I had to I could probably just mount a head to a block of wood or something. Just figured somebody out there would have made a stand with only a few inches height.

If I had to I could probably just mount a head to a block of wood or something. Just figured somebody out there would have made a stand with only a few inches height.
They have, but they cannot handle the weight of a DSLR.
I use one for a small P&S from time to time. But even then it has those wire legs so "height" would have to be measured. I've seen super small tripods in regular stores (target, etc) so they do exist. I've never used one, I'm sure weight would be an issue too.

I had a simple chrome plated steel tripod with short legs that always was at the same height. It only tilted forward and back and had a wing nut to tighten in place. I had used it back when I had a film camera and traveled with my 500mm mirror lens. Now there is a fancy version from RRS.

Last edited:
UltraPod_II_100-400mm_0370.jpg

UltraPod_II_500mmFD_580EXII_RF-603_0371.jpg

Don't forget beanbags.

The lowest I can find is about 9 inches tall. You're best/easiest option would probably be the block of wood. Just go to your local hardware store and pick up a bolt the size of a standard tripod mount about an inch longer than the wood is thick. I did something very similar when rigging a picavet for a kite once.

A clamp is a great idea, hadn't thought of that.
Too bad they seem so expensive. Grab a simple clamp and tripod head and bam $50 or $60 out the door.

Seems like I will be going the DIY route!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back