looking for watermark advice

hayleyfraser24

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
hayleyfraserphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have a watermark and I have 2 options, one black and grey and one white. Im wondering if it is a good idea to use both on what suits the picture better, or is it wise to only use 1 to keep things consistent? I have uploaded some random pictures to show an example. I like the white one but if the backround is white then you wouldnt see it at all. Any advice about this would be great, thanks in advance!

1, white low opacity
w101of1.jpg

2 black and grey
w251of1.jpg

3 black and grey, looks better than the white on this background
w281of1.jpg

Watermarks need to be consistent. But tirediron makes a good point.

If you save your watermark as a brush in PS, then you can change the color, size and opacity to fit whatever picture it's going on. Obviously, a white watermark will not look good on an image that very light colored in the same way the blank watermark will not look good on a very dark colored image. I think the size of the watermark should not be very big as that takes away from the subject and draws attention to your watermark instead.

If you save your watermark as a brush in PS, then you can change the color, size and opacity to fit whatever picture it's going on. Obviously, a white watermark will not look good on an image that very light colored in the same way the blank watermark will not look good on a very dark colored image. I think the size of the watermark should not be very big as that takes away from the subject and draws attention to your watermark instead.

Great, thanks Carol, much appreciated advice!

If you want to keep it one color, go with grey. You can increase or decrease the opacity and it will look fine in light and dark colored images. Just my $.02 cent.

If you want to keep it one color, go with grey. You can increase or decrease the opacity and it will look fine in light and dark colored images. Just my $.02 cent.
Yea I think you may be right, thanks for commenting its nice to get a different perspective on things.

Make two versions.... one white, one black. You can then choose which one will go best on the area you're placing it on, then change the opacity accordingly.

This is what I did in photoshop to solve the problem of mixed backgrounds:
Create the watermark text in a text layer (white text).
Add a layer Style "Bevel and Emboss" - Style: "Inner Bevel" (play around with the rest of the settings to suit)
Then, with that layer active, take the Fill slider down to 0% - 10%
This will create text that can be seen on both light and dark backgrounds
Adjust opacity to suit.
Create an action if you are wanting to batch process lots of files.
Note: if you want the watermark to be located in a specific location, then as part of your action steps:
have text layer active
select the "Move" tool
Go Ctrl-A to "select all"
This will activate the align options in the move options bar

Example (I rotate the photo so that the watermark went over light and dark areas)

I actually wouldn't consider this to be a watermark, but a signature. What Ace posted is a watermark. A signature identfies the photographer in a subtle (hopefully) way. A watermark is used to prevent copyright infraction and basically renders the image useless other than as a preview or proof. A watermark can also identify the photographer but it's main goal is to make the image useless to anyone who would want to steal it.

Ironically, many signatures are so gawdy that they also render the image useless. :lmao:

Photoshop is a raster graphics application. Raster graphics have limits as far as scailibility before they begin to pixelate.

That's why pro logo makers use vector graphics, instead of raster graphics to make logos. Photoshop does have some vector graphics capabilites.
Pros first make sure logos work in black, and white before they consider other tones.

I immediately saw the word HoT, not your initials.

Last edited:
Interesting comments, thanks for the tips. Im not a pro and do all my photoshoots for free... untill I master the skill that is! I am looking to market myself in the future and this was just a start... an idea. I really appreciate the advice given. I guess I would like to have a signature on my photographs to make it clear where they came from..I doubt anyone will be stealling my pictures just now but ill keep working on it... the photography and the marketing! Thanks agian, some helpfull advice there!

Most reactions

Back