Looking to buy a DSLR camera

tcarson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into saving up for a new camera. Just wondering if any of you had any recommendations on good DSLR cameras. Not anything crazy, I'm not going pro, I'm just looking to get good shots. Any advice is much appreciated.

My photo interests mostly include nature/landscapes and macro.

I have been told that Nikon is better for still shots, whereas Canon is better for video and action shots. Agree/disagree?

Nikon/Canon = Ford/Chevy. You won't be disappointed in any of them. I would go to a proper camera store (NOT a big-box store which also sells cameras) and play with the different models in your price range. My personal view is this: Canon & Nikon are the two big boys, they have the most accessories and if something new comes along, they will usually have it first. Sony makes awesome sensors, but has a limited lens range and lots of propietary weirdness. Olympus makes a great small form-factor body, but lacks a little in the accessory department and doesn't have the low-light performance of other makes. Pentax is probably the best value for the dollar overall.

Nikon/Canon = Ford/Chevy. You won't be disappointed in any of them. I would go to a proper camera store (NOT a big-box store which also sells cameras) and play with the different models in your price range. My personal view is this: Canon & Nikon are the two big boys, they have the most accessories and if something new comes along, they will usually have it first. Sony makes awesome sensors, but has a limited lens range and lots of propietary weirdness. Olympus makes a great small form-factor body, but lacks a little in the accessory department and doesn't have the low-light performance of other makes. Pentax is probably the best value for the dollar overall.

What proprietary weirdNess does sony have? The only thing I can think of is memory and that's not in many cameras. As far as lens selection I am sure he would be able to find plenty of usable lenses. So don't discount Sony because they are a late bloomer they have some very nice and reasonably priced systems out that give the big two a run for their money

IMHO the perfect beginner setup: D7100 with kit lens, speedlight, 50 mm f/1.8, CPL.

Reasonably priced, easy to learn and use, lots of capability, no need to upgrade for a long time.

It's actually "hard" to buy a "bad" DSLR camera in today's market. If you're buying anything currently on the market, you're generally going to be very happy with it. Everyone has fantastic sensor performance, great low-light, etc. Canon and Nikon both have lens line-ups of somewhere around 75 lenses each (they come and go as lens models get introduced and old models drop off the list).

There are, however, some "models" within the ranges which are optimized for certain things. Some specific bodies have focus systems which are better suited to action photography than the entry level models (but ALL DSLR models including the entry-level models will be an order of magnitude better than even what the best performing point & shoot could offer.)

The camera is not a magical device that makes you a fantastic photographer just because you have it. You do have to learn to use it and exploit it. It's a tool. Generally if you're getting poor results... it's your fault. If you're getting fantastic results (especially if you can consistently get fantastic results) then that's to your credit -- not the camera.

The generalization that Nikon is better for stills and Canon is better for video isn't true. They're both good at stills and they're both good at video. Canon happens to have ONE specific model with an exceptional focus system for shooting video and it can do continuous auto-focus during video with impressive performance and no focus-hunt... but one single camera in the lineup hardly constitutes "Canon is better at video" because you won't see any significant difference if you buy any other model than that one.

Nature/Landscape and Macro are fairly "easy" on the camera BECAUSE your camera isn't moving and your subject isn't running away from you. You have all the time in the world to line up the shot. You don't need low focal ratio lenses because you usually want maximum "depth of field" for these types of photography. If anything... getting a solid tripod will be a big asset for these types of photography.

If you had said you were doing wildlife action photography or sports... then we'd make uncomfortable faces while we describe that you'd want a camera with a fast continuous shutter speed, a more advanced focus system, lenses with fast focusing motors, and lenses with low focal ratio (which gather a ton of light so they can shoot faster shutter speeds in low light) and all that translates into more expensive bodies and lenses.

Wow Tim, thanks so much. :)

What's your budget? That really is a defining factor. Patrice recommended a $1,700+ setup, while I really want to recommend a sub-$1,000 kit and a good book or a KelbyOne membership. Without a firm budget, our recommendations are pretty vague and general.

I'm definitely looking at BELOW $1,000. I'm actually very interested in the Nikon D3200. Any thoughts on this?

I'm definitely looking at BELOW $1,000. I'm actually very interested in the Nikon D3200. Any thoughts on this?
The 3200 is a great camera, takes high quality images, good dynamic range and lowlight abilities, very tough to beat in it's price range.

Most reactions

Back