Looking to buy a film scanner.

bantor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jrcreations.bravehost.com
Good day (or night)

I decided that since i don't have the funds to purchase a good digital camera, that i should buy a film scanner. I don't wan't to spend to much money so i looked at places like BestBuy and Future Shop. Now they do have flatbed scanners that will scan in negatives (and one does slide film) but after reading all the reviews, it sounds like unless i spend alot of money, i will be looking a poor quality.

Now my question is this: have any of you bought a lower end film scanner (such as the Canon CanoScan LiDE Scanner (500F), or the Canon CanoScan 4200F Scanner) and still had reasonable qaulity come from it?

Thanks for any help,

I have a very low end Pacific Image PrimeFilm 1800u. The results from it's own twain interface are pathetic. The results from Vuescan when processed are far, far better than scans I've had from the high-street labs.

If you're not going to get one with IR then I think you may just as well stay cheap. Either way, if it doesn't output at least 36bits then forget it.

the ones i am looking at, on has 3200 dpi 48bit max color depth (im not sure if that is the same as output,but it says nothing in the specs about output) and the other is 2400dpi 48bit color depth.

When I've looked at scanners that can output more than 24bit, they generally make a point of saying so.

I've never actually tried one of these flatbed film jobbies but I don't think I'd have much confidence in them. I guess that's why I got a cheap dedicated unit.

DocFrankenstein said:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=310893&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
this is a good scanner for the price. You may be able to pick it up used for 100 bucks or so

I just purchased a coolscan ED V after having my heart set on the Minolta. I read alot of customer reviews on the Minolta that stated is was the the most expensive paper weight they ever bought. Alot of complaints about build quality. Although alot of photo mags gave it rave reviews, I didn't chance it.

I'm sure I'll be happy with the CoolScan but I'm curious if how many here own the Minolta and if they've had any problems with it. Most of what I've heard was that the film transport didn't hold up and that it had a very finicky startup and loud.

I have an Epson Perfecion 2580 Photo scanner I've been using for B&W scans along with VueScan(which made the world of difference) and have had wonderful results, just REALLY slow.

Patrick said:
I just purchased a coolscan ED V after having my heart set on the Minolta. I read alot of customer reviews on the Minolta that stated is was the the most expensive paper weight they ever bought. Alot of complaints about build quality. Although alot of photo mags gave it rave reviews, I didn't chance it.

I'm sure I'll be happy with the CoolScan but I'm curious if how many here own the Minolta and if they've had any problems with it. Most of what I've heard was that the film transport didn't hold up and that it had a very finicky startup and loud.
I agree with you, but the key point was "for the price"... Personally, Nikon V is way better, but it seems it's out of the poster's budget.

Personally, if I were to buy one I wouldn't get anything lower than Coolscan 9000. But I don't scan film for commercial stuff, so I don't really need it.

I am using a HP S20 Photosmart, paid and arm and a leg for it sonce I got it almost 5 years ago and it was very expensive back then.
It does a very good job with 35 mm negatives scanned with vuescan (good results very very weird interfase) - the other way to get decent results is to scan directly into Photoshop ( last CS version is INCREDIBLE!!!).
You may pick up a decent S20 for $100 or so in Ebay. Big problems? does not work under windows XP.......
I you need more info don't be afraid to ask.... you may see the output from this scanner in http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=726018

Most reactions

Back