looking to get into photography

JL08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've always been interested in photography and cameras, but didn't know where to start so I just googled photography forum and came across this forum. I'm a complete newb and don't know any terms or anything. I'm traveling this summer and would like to buy a camera before then for scenic photography and effects with lights and stuff like that. Any tips or help on what camera to buy would be nice. Thanks to whoever replies.

Do you want a point and shoot, or are you interested in a SLR?

Welcome.

The first step is deciding how much green you wanna spend.

To really get into photography i suggest you purchase a DSLR camera. This have interchangable lenses and a wide variety of setting that really let you get creative. Nowadays these can be had for as low as $450. I would HIGHLY consider one of these if you would like to take up photography as a new hobby.

I would suggest buying a film SLR (single lens reflex) camera and a long zoom for starters. You can pick up a Minolta XG-M or other X- series camera body and a MD mount 28-200mm macro zoom lens for about $100 if you time it right. No more than $130.00 USD. If you are going to do scenic/landscape photography, invest in a tripod. If you're going to be shooting action shots, get higher speed film (ISO 400 or greater). For dusk/pre-dawn or night photography, get a cheap flash. And get a good, simple book. Kodak produced a small 3x5 inch 100 or so page booklet on tips to improve your photography, or some such. Wanna really get into it deep? Buy Ansel Adams' book 'The Camera' and 'The Negative', about $22.00 each USD at Borders or Barnes and Noble. And, of course, come back here with ALL of your questions.

Just my personal recommendations. Have fun and welcome to the fold.

I know this will probably get into a debate between should beginers start with film or digital. I personally take the digital side but fully understand the pros of starting with film. But basicly the major differences are that with digital its instant feedback whether the shot came out or not. Now the reason they suggest film for noobs is becuase you have to think more about the photo becuase you have limited shots and cant just delete it and try again. But a real problem of fill is its expensive. This can sometimes be a turn-off for beginers who dont have as much time or money. I personally took over 2000 shots in the first 48 hours of owning my dslr, i cant even imagine learning with film.

but like i said. Everybody has opinions

check the links in my sig in the bottom row. It's not just about SLR cameras but there's a lot of good info there to help you decide what you need.

thanks for the help everyone

I'm still reading but I'm leaning think towards investing in a DSLR so i can play with my photos on my mac easier.

Hi JL08, most important thing about photography is to have fun, keep learning and improving your skills! Don't worry about equipment, this is the easy part.
1. You may purchase beginers DSLR (Adorama) like Canon 30D, EF-S 17-85 and start shooting.
2. Enroll online course and improve shooting skills.
There is a third thing also - if you want to make some money from your pictures sell them in a microstock agency!

So, go ahead and have fun!

Along with the previously mentioned Ansell Adams' books, another suggestion are two books - one Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, and the other not absolutely specific, but a really good guide to whatever camera you buy - for example, I really get great mileage out of the Thom Hogan eBook guide to the D80 - I'm constantly referring back to the book (i.e., keep "learning your camera")

I know this will probably get into a debate between should beginers start with film or digital. I personally take the digital side but fully understand the pros of starting with film. But basicly the major differences are that with digital its instant feedback whether the shot came out or not. Now the reason they suggest film for noobs is becuase you have to think more about the photo becuase you have limited shots and cant just delete it and try again. But a real problem of fill is its expensive. This can sometimes be a turn-off for beginers who dont have as much time or money. I personally took over 2000 shots in the first 48 hours of owning my dslr, i cant even imagine learning with film.

but like i said. Everybody has opinions

And my opinion is to learn the nuts and bolts of photography. Honestly, film and digital, makes no difference. But the more you know behind the scenes of tripping that shutter, the better prepared you'll be and the lesser amount of 'easy fiddling' will be required on that Mac. Learn, learn, learn. And don't be afraid to experiment on-camera and see what it does. LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...towards investing in a DSLR so i can play with my photos on my mac easier.

forgive me, but i don't get what you mean.:er:

Most reactions

Back