Looking to get my dad an SLR

kcband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
NOT SURE IF THIS IS IN THE RIGHT SECTION I'M A NOOB

My mom and I would like to get my dad a SLR for Christmas. He has been asking for so long that he has stopped asking and it is time for him to get one. My sister and I are competitive swimmers so he would really like to take pictures of us swimming.
The cameras he has pointed out to us are the D3100 and the D90. Is there a special lens he would need (other than the stock lens included)? Also, which would be better D90 or D3100? Better Value? I really don't know much about these cameras so any input on anything would be great

Thanks

D90, better value. In my way of thinking. The first time Dad gts a hankering for an affordable 50mm lens, or an affordable,light,sharp, awesome 85mm 1.8 prime, the D90 pays for itself, just like that.

D7000 , it's Christmas time. You have but one dad. I wish I had a dad.

D7000 , it's Christmas time. You have but one dad. I wish I had a dad.

^^ what he said. I would opt for the D3s. I think he spent a lot more raising you. Now stop being selfish and give him his %1 investment. :thumbup:

On a real note, I think almost everybody would agree that the D90 is the better value. If it took him or you guys this long to buy a camera, why not buy the better option because who know when he's going to get another one. What is the budget and does he like video recording?If you guys can stretch the budget, I would suggest the D7000 body and the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens. That way he'll have a good walk around lens that takes good pictures without upgrading for awhile. That set up is around 1,700$. D90 with lens kit is 1,000. A pretty high jump but you do get a newer, better camera and also a better lens. Just food for thought. :hug::

Last edited:
I'll leave the technical stuff to the much more informed folks here but...you might want to think about insuring it...high humidity and cameras don't swim well either. Just a thought. I added my entry level equipment to my house insurance at no additional cost. Some may say why bother? But it was free insurance.

I'll leave the technical stuff to the much more informed folks here but...you might want to think about insuring it...high humidity and cameras don't swim well either. Just a thought. I added my entry level equipment to my house insurance at no additional cost. Some may say why bother? But it was free insurance.

Could humidity become a large problem. At swim meets they are plenty of people with SLRs.

Could humidity become a large problem. At swim meets they are plenty of people with SLRs.
should be ok as long as it doesn't actually get wet. Nikon builds em pretty well. i've had my D80 a while now and have really put it through its paces and she's never let me down.
also have to agree with above D7000 recommendation. in my opinion that is the best dx format camera nikon makes right now. what a heck of a Christmas present.
that and any VR telephoto lens (probably included in package) and you'll well he'll be all set.

Most reactions

Back