What's new

Looking to get some C&C on a few photos as well as some post processing advice.

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
511
Reaction score
41
Location
Auburn, AL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a few photos the other day and i edited on from a while but I always feel like my shots are getting to be boring or even cliche. I was wondering if i could get some feedback on what technique would work best with these kinds of photos and what kind of post processing can be done to make it look more appealing. I can send the original raw files if anyone wants to take a stab at them too.

Thanks in advance.

$Auburn Old Man Tunnel - Edit 1 Original.webp$Carnival - Edit 1 Orginal.webp$Opelika Blake - Edit 1.webp$Opelika Train - Edit 1.webp$Opelika Train Cross - Edit 1 Orginal.webp
 
Difficult questions to answer without knowing what you are trying to do. As for "boring or even cliche", what fits in these categories for one person may not for another. For me, the last two aren't very interesting. Any time I see a set of tracks leading off to infinity, the image doesn't hold my interest. The third one has a figure on the tracks, which lends more interest, but I don't care for portraits with only the feet cut off. To me, if you're going to show almost all of the body, you should include the feet as well, otherwise viewers will be thinking about why you cut off the feet.

The first two are more interesting to me. In the second I might crop closer to make the people occupy more of the frame because their interaction seems to be what the image is about. Cropping the top would also get rid of that bright light. I'm not sure how much I would crop on the right because I like the sign, but my inclination would be to crop between the guy behind the counter and the sign.

Your processing seems pretty good, but again I don't know what you're after. The white balance on the first could be changed to a more neutral setting, but perhaps you want the contrast between the fluorescent light and the evening sky. Otherwise, you have good contrast and tonal range in the black and whites and good sharpness.
 
I'd like the last one if there was a locomotive approaching, maybe about as close as that signal tower, But I think I may be looking at it as a railroad buff, and not so much as a photograph that has to stand of it own.
 
In all honesty, I dont even know what I was going for. I am trying to find a list of questions that one should ask themselves before they touch an image in photoshop so I can figure out what techniques will work best with what photos. I appreciate the feedback and I agree with your advice about cropping the top and right side out of the carnival photo. I appreciate your advice and thanks for the insight!.

As far as getting a locomotive approaching at that range, I might be able to do it but i doubt id be able to come out alive.lol
 
You can't rely on post processing "to make it look more appealing".

That is best done in the camera.

Subject matter, composition, and probably most important - lighting - are the keys to making compelling images.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom