Loooking for a sturdy and light tripod

ygil707

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi . I'll be going on a nice 9 day hiking trip to Yellowstone and would like your opinion on a good tripod to take. I currently have a canon 24-105mm and will be renting a 100-400mm . I need something light since itl just be me and my husband hiking. My budget is 200 max ... Thank a lot!

Get a bigger budget. Really! Tripods come in three varieties: Light, stable and inexpensive. You may choose any two. What I would use for that is a 4 section CF model such as Manfrotto's 055 legs. I have a set of these and they're ideal; the carbon-fibre is light and stable, the four-section legs, while a little more of a PIA to use collapse into a very small space, BUT they will run you around $450 -500 new, and you're still looking at $200+ for a head. Your best bet will be to scour Craig's List and similar 'sites for used ones. Even then, $200 might be pushing it, but you're going to get a lot closer to your budget that way.

Honestly I'd say get a monopod or even one of those trekking poles that has a monopod attachment (the reverse - using a monopod as a trekking pole appears not to work as well - partially as the monopods lack any shock absorbing feature). I think a cheap tripod that is stable in that price range is, well it will be heavy and with a 100-400mm you've already got IS in there and if you're shooting anything moving you'll need a fast shutter speed of 1/400sec or faster anyway.

I agree with the monopod suggestion. You need to realize that Sturdy, Light and Cheap do not go together when talking about tripods for photography. It is like ordering at a Chinese Restaurant. You can only pick 2.

Thanks for the monopod idea. That's what my husband suggested. Lol. I just wanted a tripod but I'd rather wait and get a really good one later on when I can afford it....

Just got my Sirui T-025 tripod today!
Very compact and less than 2 lbs with the head. I am going to give up some stability over my regular tripod, but when you are backpacking in the mountains, weight offsets a lot! I think I am going to like it a lot.

I just learned a lesson on stability just this weekend.
Had my 300mm prime and was disappointed by the images that came out ... even shooting at 1/500s ... handheld ... looked slightly soft/out of focus.
Decided I have to upgrade the lens ... but I stopped and put the camera on my monopod (which I did not bring along previously), and the images were fine ... even at 1/100s.

I have to remember that stability helps ... which is good since I cannot afford to upgrade that lens.

Out of curiosity, you are already renting the 100-400, why not rent a tripod as well?

Sorry, I forgot to add to my post ... about a monopod ... I was just looking over the Giottos MM 9500 series and they look pretty good for an inexpensive monopod, though you might need to check the total weight of your camera and lens.

I will not be renting it because its the same price as buying it. And I do a lot of backpacking so i think eventually it will be a waste of money to rent :/... Hopefully I can order a good priced one before I go ... Thanks again for all the help :)

I will not be renting it because its the same price as buying it. And I do a lot of backpacking so i think eventually it will be a waste of money to rent :/... Hopefully I can order a good priced one before I go ... Thanks again for all the help :)

See, that is the thing, renting it would not be the same price as buying it. A sturdy and light tripod can easily cost $600+. The ball head can be another $300+. And that isn't top of the line. That is just good, sturdy, and light.

I still say, for this trip, rent a nice one. Then after the trip when you go shopping for a tripod, you will at least have something to compare it to. Just my .02

If you are set on purchasing one, I would go with one of the older, aluminum Manfrottos. Not light, but at least it is sturdy.

Rent a $1000 value tripod for this trip. Agree with George, you will have experience to compare with.
If you do backpacking a lot, save and buy one. You won't regret it.

Lol . We do indeed do a lot of backpacking...I'd rather save to make a good investment ... Thanks a lot for all your advice!! :)

Just a thought to add - I tend to find that if I've got a tripod and I'm walking the tripod does one thing. It sits on my back the whole time. Unless you've someone to carry it at the ready, or you do so yourself, you'll find it too slow to get it out and ready for a quick grabshot.
If you're mostly walking and moving around the whole time then I'd leave the tripod - get a monopod and use that. It will get used more often and will be quick enough to be ready when you need it.

If you're going to stop for periods or heading out to a specific spot for some landscape work (or think you might) or your heading to a hide etc... then the tripod comes into its own as a stable and solid support. So, my view, is tripods are for slower shooting where you've the time and the need to setup - whilst monopods are for speed shooting, where you're not expecting to stop for long periods of time and where the shots are needed fast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back