Lost my 35-350 and found something VERY inberesting

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So two years ago i purchased from KEH a 35-350mm EOS L lens.
The bease is very heavy and cost me a grand.

It was listed in Ex+ condition and was a fine lens.

Today I lost it.

As i was shooting some bugs and flowers while walking the mutlies, the 1Ds and the lens fell onto the ground and promptly bent the tube.

Now this lens is an older lens and no longer supported by Canon.
Looking at it, and finding that most of the lens was no operating, I took it home and decided to take it apart to see the damage. Not to salvage, but to see what broke.

Upon taking it apart I discovered over-tightened screws, and screw heads that were stripped and covered with black sharpie ink. The deeper into the lens I went I found all kinds of little tidbits including the plastic electrical coating heavily worn and a few other items.

Realizing this thing was gone the last resort was to simply toss the mess away.
A loss of a good lens.

I don't blame the KEH folks one bit. Unfortunately it looks like someone had taken this thing apart once before (there was also a missing screw) and I found evidence of the Canon white touch-up paint in specific spots.

So dont think the the KEH folks are to blame. They are not. It looks like someone did a once over on the lens before selling it to them and just happened to get it.

Cest la vie.

I don't blame the KEH folks one bit.
KEH "evaluated" it as Ex+.

Is it reasonable to expect them to have disassembled the lens since none of the questionable workmanship was visible externally?

Other than checking its functionality and a good visual inspection, what else should they have done?

I don't blame the KEH folks one bit.
KEH "evaluated" it as Ex+.

Is it reasonable to expect them to have disassembled the lens since none of the questionable workmanship was visible externally?

Other than checking its functionality and a good visual inspection, what else should they have done?
Thats my point.
They will do a surface level clean up like a used car lot, but not responsible for the internal.
IMO they didn't see anything wrong and it probably worked fine when they had it.
its just a bum rap and I have to suck it up and deal with it.

Doesn't mean I wont do business with them, just the situation sucks is all.

Canon's 35-350 L was a favorite of many high-level paparazzi, back in the day. 35 to 350mm, in one rugged L-glass barrel! Every lens length needed for red carpets, press conferences, pub shot ops, movie premiers, ceremonies, etc. It might well have been a daily user for 5,6,7,8 years, repaired, and then traded off to KEH.com. It is possible that the external paint was EX+...the lens might have been wrapped with gaffer tape for years, to protect that external finish. Externally EX+, but internally, thrashed?

Wrapping bodies and lenses with gaff tape was often advocated years ago when external finishes were made of, mostly, painted metal. Now that polycarbonate is the norm, you hardly eve her of tape wrapping stuff.

Doesn't it say on their website something about condition ratings, that they're based on appearance, etc.? Or maybe that used to be in their catalog... I've found the condition even better than they rated it but there's no guarantee how long something will keep working.

Try dropping a lens on concrete in a hockey arena - twice. It worked for a number of months til one day I started to focus and felt something give and everything went out of focus. But it was the first telephoto I ever bought and had had it for - years, don't ask me how many, that might involve a good bit of calculating!

Sorry it bit the dust.

Not for internal evidence, but maybe KEH will take it back. (?)

I've bought one bad lens, and it worked fine when I first got it, so even with a tear-down inspection, I doubt if anyone would have found a problem.

Wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Not for internal evidence, but maybe KEH will take it back. (?)

I've bought one bad lens, and it worked fine when I first got it, so even with a tear-down inspection, I doubt if anyone would have found a problem.

Wouldn't hurt to ask them.
too late. Its in the trash.
Long gone.

Well it turns out that I lost more than the lens.

The camera dove also and several issues came up.
The eye lens behind the view lens on the back popped out of the housing, the images are coming out in the wrong tone, the camera itself wont respond well to lenses that were normally workable.
And the list goes on.

So its retirement time for my 1Ds.

Guess Ill try to find a 5D or something else.

Very sorry to hear that (insert solo trumpet playing "Taps").

I came close to disaster where my grip became detached from the body/lens while the whole thing was hanging from my shoulder. Fortunately I was holding on to the body at the time.

But, on the positive side of things, you have perfect justification for getting a new (to you) camera.

Very sorry to hear that (insert solo trumpet playing "Taps").

I came close to disaster where my grip became detached from the body/lens while the whole thing was hanging from my shoulder. Fortunately I was holding on to the body at the time.

But, on the positive side of things, you have perfect justification for getting a new (to you) camera.
yes......

I know....... :fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs:

And the wife hates it! :fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs::fangs:

Sounds like the drop was very costly. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Sounds like the drop was very costly. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Well thank you.

Makes me wonder about the plans of Providence.

When the Force decides either its time to move on or play a really weird joke on you, your just gonna have to suck it up.

Only like a month late, but I hope you didn't throw the lens away. Even broken, the lens is likely worth around $200 for parts.

Most reactions

Back