Macro with fixed lens camera

nws

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello- I am trying to figure out a decent way to achieve macro capabilities with a fixed lens camera. The camera has 58mm threads for add on lenses.

My camera can already basically focus right up to the lens, but I would love to get even "closer", magnifying the image even more.

I have read several poor man's techniques for doing macro, like the tube extensions, and the cheap +1,+2,+4,+10, etc lenses. But I'm not sure if this would work with a fixed lens camera. Anyone know?

I've also read about reversing lenses, wide angle macro lenses, "true" macro lenses, and using a telephoto lens with a cheap "close up" lens on the front... my knowledge just isn't enough to help me figure out what will work in my case.

I'm not ready to drop a huge amount of money on a top quality true macro lens. But does anyone have any advice as to what I should consider... or avoid (think decent quality, fairly low budget)?

Since my camera can already focus so close, would a cheap close up lens be worthless? Or could I use this, and then zoom way in with my 10x built in zoom while still maintaining focus? As the camera is now, I can't zoom in very far while maintaining focus on a very close subject.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You can't use an extension tube with a fixed lens. You can get a ring that allows you to join another lens to the one you have or get the close-up filter kit...

Thanks.

Okay so the extension tube is out.

I've played around with inexpensive close up lenses without much success. By attaching 3 together (+1, +2, and +4), I gain almost nothing. Maybe a little more working distance, perhaps slightly more magnification (hardly any really), and certainly a poor image. I could be missing something here...

What other lens options might work with a fixed lens camera? Wide angle macro? A Reversed lens of some sort? A telephoto lens with attached close up lenses (I've experimented with a very cheap x3 telephoto lens with the above mentioned close up lenses, it does produce very impressive magnification, maybe about 1:1, but the image is terribly soft and cloudy, completely unusable)?

You might get more responses if you stated what camera you have...

With a fixed lens camera there aren't many options. Your only way to go is a macro converter. I wouldn't advice the cheap +something lens often sold on ebay. You haven't posted your camera, which is quite important here because every fixed lens camera is different, so I am not sure if it would be compatible, but I'd recommend the Raynox 250 macro converter. It's what I used with my Panasonic FZ7 a couple years back, and also with a Rebel XTi after that. One thing though - check your camera's focal length. The filter won't be any good on wide lens. You need at least about 70mm equiv, preferably 100mm and longer. Since you've also got a 58mm thread, you could also get some old m42 prime lens and attach that reversed using an adapter. Not sure about the quality though, never tried that.

Sorry. The camera is actually a video camera (and it does 8MP photos)- it is the Canon HF S200 (same as S20 and S21).

It has a 10x optical zoom, and the other information is- 6.4-64mm and 1:1.8 and the threads are 58mm. The fixed lens is recessed about 2cm from the front of the camera, so even though it focuses closer, you really can't get closer to a subject than about 2cm from the lens.

Thanks again.

By the way, those Raynox macro converters look great, both the 250 and the 150.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back