Madison Rowley, World Beard and Mustache Championship Winner

My only issue with what you have to say is that you present your opinions as facts. I wasn't on auto-pilot, nor did I add "artist-flare-for-the-sake-of-adding-artist-flare" to this image. I had a clear vision in mind from the beginning and went with it.

Otherwise, thanks for the feedback, but I don't think it looks bad at all and I'm sticking with my original edit despite you saying it looks bad. Anyone may feel free to call me arrogant because of my refusal to acknowledge your critique as useful to me, but I couldn't give a rat's ass if you think so. Have a nice day.

never forget: i defended the girl's reflection. :p

The Girls reflection was dope. :pimp:

The problem I have with your posts like this (and I see it often in your critiques) is that you state what you don't like and insist that because it is not to your taste that that makes it wrong, or technically incorrect or that the photographer has dropped the ball and then appear to lament when they don't take your "advice" as absolute.

I'm not the artist, so I can only tell you my experience.

Always assume that a finished image is as the artist intended.

I can't make it that easy for the artist.

I'm not entirely sure the artist intended this guys skin to have a zombie-like appearance.

I put it out there for the artist to consider and that's all it is. You're not going to convince me that the guy's skin doesn't look bad to me and I may not convince Dan that it should be reworked, but at least it's something for him to consider.

I also try to inject a lot of humor in my posts, just trying to have fun with it, not trying to be poloarizing.
To me it doesn't look dead or zombie like at all. Now you know for sure that it wasn't my intention, and I still don't feel that it looks that way. :)

And yes, my display is calibrated and is not set to a high brightness level.

This is still going on?

I swear some folks on here would tell me how to take my coffee.

I have to admit, his skin looks much better here at home. But it still looks orange and delicious in the before.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is still going on?

I swear some folks on here would tell me how to take my coffee.
Sweetened with single malt?

Here's a clean edit to appease those of you who don't like my "artistic for the sake of being artistic" style of editing. And to be clear, I did NOT edit it this way just to make anyone else happy. This is how I felt the image would be best suited to MY liking. I don't care if you feel that the first image needs to be edited this way as well.
Captured in all natural light.
_mg_4420_by_danostergren-d8nx752.jpg

I have to admit, his skin looks much better here at home. But it still looks orange and delicious in the before.
Orange is usually a tone that I try to avoid having in my photos, especially in highly saturated amounts. It just doesn't look good to me.

image.jpg

I could never deal with a moustache that long. I tried. Couldn't handle it. (See what I did there?) food gets all over it, or you get a fork full of stache. Not fun.

Here's a clean edit to appease those of you who don't like my "artistic for the sake of being artistic" style of editing. And to be clear, I did NOT edit it this way just to make anyone else happy. This is how I felt the image would be best suited to MY liking. I don't care if you feel that the first image needs to be edited this way as well.
Captured in all natural light.
_mg_4420_by_danostergren-d8nx752.jpg

That's Brilliant.

While I do like this shot, to be clear: I only suggested that first shot here appeared that way to me, that it didn't convey the same level of mood through your color edits that the rest of your work does or that it wasn't as deliberate. In other words, as a viewer/fan I didn't feel like the color edits were quite up to Dan Ostergren level of standards.

While I do like this shot, to be clear: I only suggested that first shot here appeared that way to me, that it didn't convey the same level of mood through your color edits that the rest of your work does or that it wasn't as deliberate. In other words, as a viewer/fan I didn't feel like the color edits were quite up to Dan Ostergren level of standards.
meh, the pale thing went better and more unnoticed with Goth girl. On here it was too apparent. The question of using natural light by photoguy then editing it out i found interesting as well.
To each their own. Stylistic choice, perhaps. Favorable to every viewer. No. Those more discerning pick up on it too quick. But if his audience liked it, and he wants to do it. who cares? He definately has some talent and has turned out some good work on here. Wouldn't say i am a fan. This isn't my type of thing. But he has some talent.

I appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back