Make me feel better about not buying ebay

dman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF

I am going to buy the Nikon d60 and yes I am a huge noob. I see these camera kits on ebay that are packaged with everything under the sun. I realize that the accessories that come with it are probably of marginal quality. My local circuit city sells the d60 for $650 compared to the ebay kits for around $600. My gut feeling says check with someone that has some knowledge before spending my money (you). Apart from the warranty and comfort that comes with buying from some place like Circuit City - what are some other things that should drive me there?? What am I not seeing with the ebay kits?

Thanks so much for your time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/D60-Digital-SLR-USA-Camera-Body-Nikon-VR-Lens-Kit_W0QQitemZ290268430229QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290268430229&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
its all about the warranty baby... ebay gives you no warranty... and no, its not a quality kit... spend the extra 50 bucks, get one from a source you know is good, and get your warranty

agreed - ebay cheap deals are cheap for a reason - and those addons are usually of such poor quality that you end up having to replace them.
Get it at a reputable store and save on pains later - a really cheap price is nothing when what you get is broken or not complete (or even if it arrives at all!)

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for --- circuit city it is then!

And thanks for the toolhaus info - did not know about that.

resellerratings.com FTW. i'm not sure if they do ebay stores though

Certainly get it from the local camera shop. Not only will you get much, much higher quality items, but you'll also be helping a local store stay alive in this hectic work-a-day world :).

the difference is $50? dont go for ebay.

just go to a local shop. dont go to circuit city or whatever. go to an 'indie' shop. ask for a discount or ask them to throw in a free memory card.

Well technically $50 is not really "what I am in for" as they do package it with memory cards and some other stuff I will be able to use for a short period of time.

Can anyone suggest any local 'indie' shops in the NYC Metro area (actually working in NJ now)??

Why don't you just order from B&H? If you are in the NYC metro area they are essentially a local shop anyway.

Check out Amazon.com They offer some pretty good deals, have great customer service, and you get the warranty.

its all about the warranty baby... ebay gives you no warranty... and no, its not a quality kit... spend the extra 50 bucks, get one from a source you know is good, and get your warranty

Not true, as long as you maker sure you're buying a never before owned, US version you will get the same manufactures warranty as anywhere else.

"Ebay" doesn't sell anything, it just provides an forum for sellers to find buyers--research the seller and you're just as safe as buying locally IMO.

Most reactions

Back