Making digital look like Kodak Portra NC

wishbone_17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was curious to know if anyone can show me steps how to make my digital images look more like Kodak Portra NC. I am trying to learn different Photoshop techniques as I learn the program and this is one of the techniques I am really interested in.

Also, can someone tell me how to get that vignette look to my images using Photoshop? Or maybe direct me to a website that has tutorials that cover this kind of stuff (I have already watched U Suck @ Photoshop).

Thanks.

U Suck at Photoshop is a satire. It is not a real tutorial.

Actually you might look at Ken Rockwells site. While I hate his opinons on cameras and, other various things. He does know photoshop and, has some tutorials on there.
Disclaimer: Photoshop is the only thing I will ever suggest going to Rockwells site. :lol:

Reg - Is the Exposure Plugin a whole other program or something that you use through Photoshop (like a filter for certain film looks)?

Davebmck - I know You Suck at Photoshop is a satire but it is also really informative people who are learning Photoshop.

Joves - I will check out his site. Thanks for the heads up.

Are there anyother tutorials for this type of thing on the internet? I can only assume there are, I just don't know where to look. I don't mind buying a program to do the work but I would much rather learn how to do it myself so I can fine tune it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Portra NC is not a film you could easily match digitally, especially since its dynamic range is likely wider than your sensor. Granted, it would probably be possible to nail it down to something of a science but it would require a lot of side-by-sides and if I were doing it personally I wouldn't be doing it in RGB.

For the record I think Alien Skin's "exposure" is total quackery. Converted images look nothing like the stated films in my opinion.

well for less than $50, you can buy a film camera and a few rolls....

I have 7 film cameras and shoot on them regularly. I shoot digital when I need to keep costs down for specific jobs. I am also opposed (at the moment) to buying a program because I would rather learn more about Photoshop through this lesson rather than how to click a button in Photoshop.

As for Portra NC..... It doesn't have to be exactly like Portra NC, I am just looking for a lesson on how to make the images more natural looking in color.

Below is a link to a photographer who regularly shoots digital but her work looks more natural than that. The tones are almost muted. Much like the look Portra NC gives.

The link is:

http://www.elizabethweinberg.com/

I am trying to find a way for my work to look more like hers.

I understand that a lot has to do with time of day, clothing, season, etc, but even her "summer" shots are still very muted.

Thanks.

I've always wanted to shoot with porta film, but I haven't yet heh.

I find most DSLRs standard settings are more saturated and contrasty than color print film. Either tone them down in the jpeg parameter settings, or shoot raw and process by inspection.

People who shot with Kodak MAX don't ask how to make their prints look more like Portra NC. They simply switch negative and shoot with Portra NC. It is no different now that we have DSLRs..... digital is just another medium...

On that token... You can get into the ballpark easier with adjustments in Adobe Lightroom. In photoshop, have you tried just decreasing contrast and saturation?

People who shot with Kodak MAX don't ask how to make their prints look more like Portra NC. They simply switch negative and shoot with Portra NC. It is no different now that we have DSLRs..... digital is just another medium...

The reason they have to switch is that C41 processing is standardized, and custom processing usually isn't an option. With digital custom processing is always an option.

Well part of the reason for not using it is I thought it would be expensive to develop. And usually when I did think of trying it, I saw some other film I would rather try hah. One of these days soon i'll try it though, along with the Ektachromes, and Velvias.

C677T said:
Well part of the reason for not using it is I thought it would be expensive to develop. And usually when I did think of trying it, I saw some other film I would rather try hah. One of these days soon i'll try it though, along with the Ektachromes, and Velvias.

I have a bunch of Portra 160 VC in the freezer, shot a few rolls - haven't developed it yet (I'm broke...lol).

Most reactions

Back