Making digital look like Kodak Portra NC

People who shot with Kodak MAX don't ask how to make their prints look more like Portra NC. They simply switch negative and shoot with Portra NC. It is no different now that we have DSLRs..... digital is just another medium...

On that token... You can get into the ballpark easier with adjustments in Adobe Lightroom. In photoshop, have you tried just decreasing contrast and saturation?

Yeah I have and it works well. There are obviously no magic settings that get it right all the time, I am just trying to find out if someone has a certain process they go through each time to get a consistent look. I am learning the finer points of photo retouching in Photoshop (the guy I used forever is doing it anymore....time to save money and teach myself) and thought someone might have some insight.

The reason they have to switch is that C41 processing is standardized, and custom processing usually isn't an option. With digital custom processing is always an option.

But thats my point.... digital custom processing is an option which means it is a medium itself unlike C41 standardized. Why get hung up on simulating film on digital when digital is capable of producing its own "look".

Experiment and research to find how to make digital work to your liking.... its a far better approach than spending effort copying another film type that can easily be obtain by simply shooting film.

With that said... I've been experimenting with Lightroom 2 for a couple of weeks now. It is a far better tool to produce a final digital print of your own creation than photoshop (from the stand point of a photographer).

I see what you are saying but honestly the only reason I shoot digital at all is the cost effective nature of it. And instant gratification of seeing what the image looks like....but my point is, I don't like the "look" of digital. I want something with more personality. Every film stock has its own personality that makes it unique. To me, Digital is Digital. Canon may read colors differently than Nikon and so on but in the end there is no personality to me because it is all just a bunch of pixels.

But if I can find a way to get my images to look more like the films I love then I can warm up to it more.

Understood...

Have you tried Lightroom 2? Its a lot easier to experiment with digital photos to obtain different "looks" than Photoshop. For manipulation and creation of images stick with photoshop but for "processing" digital photos, try lightroom 2. there is a demo available for free.

Try
1) increasing clarity
2) increasing vibrance
3) decrease saturation and contrast.
4) bright colors that still exist can be toned by adjusting luminance of that color.

That should get you closer to what you want.

I am actually an Aperture2 User, but I am pretty sure I can do all those things in Aperture too. I will check out. Thanks.

Yeah Aperture can do those things. A few of those steps are the exact opposite of what Portra NC simulators do tho so I think they may be wrong for exactly Portra. <shrug> :p

The Film simulator I use (even tho you said you don't want button automation) is called RealGrain. And in spite of it's name does a total simulation - not just grain. It has a bunch of color films and a bunch or B/W films built in and you can download more I hear. This kind of "button automation is just a set of presets on the sliders. You can use it as a starting position and modify it or you can accept it as it is.

Color_Films.png

Color Films____________________________________________B/W Films

It's very good! I got it in a bundle with Portraiture and Noiseware Professional for like $150 on an educator discount thing. I have several other simulators but they don't do as good a job and pale in comparison really.

Last edited:
The Film simulator I use (even tho you said you don't want button automation) is called RealGrain. .

Wow that program cost $99. For that price you might as well buy an old canon or something for $50 and buy $50 of film haha

The reason they have to switch is that C41 processing is standardized, and custom processing usually isn't an option. With digital custom processing is always an option.

I guess so, if you rely on others, but for well under $100, you can process C41 in your kitchen sink, push, pull and cross process to your hearts content. Eventually you realize how much fun you're having making pictures, and somehow end up with an automated processor in your kitchen as well, then it starts to get interesting...

U Suck at Photoshop is a satire. It is not a real tutorial.

u fo real???????? u suck at photoshop helped me out so much and plus its funny

LOL, you suck at photoshop is awesome! Maybe it's not as helpful as some other tutorials, but it's a lot more fun to watch. :)

lol yea.. he always has that dood poppin up askin him to play some game and he photoshops out the wring on his wifes hand

I have a bunch of Portra 160 VC in the freezer, shot a few rolls - haven't developed it yet (I'm broke...lol).
Ouch, friend! Beg, borrow, or steal! Those undeveloped rolls are sitting there collecting color crossover.

Wow that program cost $99. For that price you might as well buy an old canon or something for $50 and buy $50 of film haha

:rollseyes:

$99 is pretty cheap for that plug-in I think. Remember time is money! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back