Male Model

Picture_This

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I litterly just signed up for this website a couple minutes ago.. I have one question that has been driving me nuts. I'm sure that there are others that have asked similar questions but I have specifics. I've been doing photography (seriously) for about a year now. I've charged for several shoots, personal, engagement, and family portraits. And every time, I feel so awkward about bringing up prices because they are usually people I know, or friends of friends who assume they will be getting it for free. I haven't charged a crazy amount or anything, but enough to say I don't work for free and to be taken seriously. Anyway my ex-boyfriends friend (whom I've never really seen eye to eye with) is now asking me if I would build his portfolio for a modeling job that he recently got. I said of course, and we talked about what he needed and the details of it. I haven't yet mentioned pricing yet, though I know that I would like to charge him something. I think he thinks it will be for free and I'm trying to figure out how to bring it up and how much to charge. It would only be for an unlimited amount of images on a cd. I was thinking around $70. And if he needed me to actually build the portfolio myself by getting prints and the book, of course I'd charge more. I'm still starting out of course.. I don't consider myself a 'professional', but that's where I'd like to be someday and I can't keep doing it for free. But I browsed around on a couple other threads and saw a lot of the responses were, 'If you are not a professional, don't charge'. But I can't say I agree with that... you're putting your time and work into it, and they are obviously choosing you because they like what they've seen. I'm not a 100% confident in myself yet because I know that my equipment is not up to par with all of the other great photographers out there.. but I truly believe it is WHO is taking that picture, rather than the camera itself. Some input would be great! Thanks!
(Cannon rebel t2i, telephoto lens)

Actually, in my mind, you're doing worse than offering free work. When someone does something pro bono, it can be charity, good will, etc. However when it's done for a ridiculously low price, there's no excuse. As far as the shoot for your ex goes, e-mail him a copy of your contract which plainly spells out the cost, either for the whole job, or per-hour/per image, as well as what you will provide. A model's portfolio need only be 8-12 images + 'Z' sheet if req'd. That would, for me at least, translate into 1-200 images shot and 3-4 hours total time. He will either accept or reject it (or more likely try and weasel something free from you to which you simply respond, "It's as stated in the contract!").

Develop a pricing strategy based on your business plan and CODB and STICK TO IT!!!! If 'business plan' and 'CODB' aren't familiar to you, put the camera down for a while and spend some time working on the business die of your photography.

Look at it this way:

Do Pre-Med students make money from attending classes and learning how to perform surgeries? No.

Do English Majors earn cash from writing essays for a class? No.

Do engineering students get dough by designing bridges, and simulating their structural integrity? No.

What do they all have in common? They're paying money to practice, learn, and absorb knowledge. They're also not 100% confident in their skills, either.

You said: "
I'm not a 100% confident in myself yet because I know that my equipment is not up to par with all of the other great photographers out there.. "

Confidence doesn't lie within the gear you have, at least... It shouldn't. Confidence should lie within your knowledge of photography, and your ability to take great photos. If you don't have that, you shouldn't be charging for your time. One year is a very small amount of time to "grow" as a photographer. I waited ~4 years until I felt confident in my skill set, and I had acquired a variety of gear.

As shown above, you need to absorb some of the cost associated with learning any profession. Photography is no different IMO.

Look at it this way:

Do Pre-Med students make money from attending classes and learning how to perform surgeries? No.

Do English Majors earn cash from writing essays for a class? No.

Do engineering students get dough by designing bridges, and simulating their structural integrity? No.

What do they all have in common? They're paying money to practice, learn, and absorb knowledge. They're also not 100% confident in their skills, either.

You said: "
I'm not a 100% confident in myself yet because I know that my equipment is not up to par with all of the other great photographers out there.. "

Confidence doesn't lie within the gear you have, at least... It shouldn't. Confidence should lie within your knowledge of photography, and your ability to take great photos. If you don't have that, you shouldn't be charging for your time. One year is a very small amount of time to "grow" as a photographer. I waited ~4 years until I felt confident in my skill set, and I had acquired a variety of gear.

As shown above, you need to absorb some of the cost associated with learning any profession. Photography is no different IMO.
Excellent point Tyler; I missed that. Agree with your comment.

OP: In future posts it would be great if you could break things up into paragraphs. One large block of text is very difficult to read!

If your charging and you find it awkward. bring it up at the very beginning, I would appreciate that a lot more then talking with you several times, working out what you want to do, shoots, where times etc. and then having you say " oh by the way, i charge".

But as said, if your not comfortable getting the shots, not comfortable explaining that you charge I think you may want to wait to start charging. A profesional should be confident in what they do. You don't have to have the greatest geat, but you should know your gears limitations and what it can and can not do for you.

Do electricians get paid while learning their trade?

How about carpenters?

HVAC guys?

Why, yes, yes they do!

How about carpenters?

HVAC guys?

Why, yes, yes they do!

They're also learning underneath qualified tradesman. Not fumbling around with nails, 2x4's, or wires by themselves.

Tyler: yes those individuals do not get paid, but there is a set time limit and then two out of three get paid very well. Additionally, some of those individuals could be teaching assistance, working in a University lab, etc. and yes they are paid by the university. I worked as a teacher assistance in college for the duration of my degree, and I got paid.

Amolitor is correct those individuals get paid while they learn.

I am no Pro, and I get paid for my work. If I am unable to do a job because I know I am not capable of it, then I don't accept it. I also do free work for organizations. I have spent hours working on special effects of photos, enhancements or creating a card or collage. My product is very good, so I feel I should be paid for my time. I have charged lower fees for photoshoots, and those fees will increase as my ability increases. The price should be discussed at the beginning. If I worked for free all the time, how would I pay for gas to go to the shoots, the equipment needed for it.

my point is simply that listing a set of professions that do NOT get paid while learning does not constitute an argument.

How about carpenters?

HVAC guys?

Why, yes, yes they do!

They're also learning underneath qualified tradesman. Not fumbling around with nails, 2x4's, or wires by themselves.
Those trades also require an apprenticeship because if a poor job is done:

Someone can get electrocuted or a fire can get started - electrician.
A building can collaspe - carpenter
Or people can be poisoned by, or fire started by, a improperly installed/serviced HVAC system.

If the OP is an assistant, or is being trained by a photographer and doing on-site work, then yes... They should be paid IMO.

However, it doesn't sound that way. It sounds like they're self taught.

I too, am self taught. I didn't charge for quite some time because I wasn't confident in my skills and didn't have an array of gear, but I still wanted practice. Now, I do charge a premium, and I don't have any qualms with it because I got my experience, I paid my dues, and now clients are coming to me more and more frequently.

I think you'll find that there are a large amount of professionals that do not get paid while they learn their trade or career, compared to a relatively small amount of professionals that got paid to learn their trade.

That is a fair point, KmH. I was wrong. A list IS an argument, it's just a lousy one ;)

if $70 sounds fair, then do it.

no one wakes up one morning and, since it's been 4 years and 22 hours, is thereby declared 'a professional'. let ur work speaks for itself. if someone likes what u do and asks u to take photos, then by all means, if u feel comfortable, accept the work. as long as u r not parading yourself around as the best photog in the world, ur prices should reflect ur skill and experience :)

Most reactions

Back