Mallards and a Merganser at 400mm

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was out for a walk today near some of the local irrigation canals here. I was carrying D7000 with a a 70-200 2.8 and the TCE-20 2x teleconverter. I had my tripod with me, but never did get to use it... the ducks wouldn't cooperate. So these shots are handheld at 400mm (600mm crop factor). The Merganser was very shy.. could not get close enough for a really nice shot. Mallards were a little more cooperative.. but not much.

Mallard (Male)
mmallard1.jpg

Mallard (Female)
Fmallard1.jpg

Hooded Merganser (Female)
F-HoodMerganser.jpg

Nice set!

Thanks Eric! I wish I could find a Wood Duck or something, like the you shots you have! Gorgeous work! :)

Last edited:
The first shot looks a little overexposed and it's a shame you only got the back end of the first mallard and the merganser.

Are these tightly cropped? There are also some CA issues going on in the first one. I suspect you should try not to use the 400mm at the far end of the zoom to improve that.

Top right hand corner of the last shot, is that a fish eye?

The first shot looks a little overexposed and it's a shame you only got the back end of the first mallard and the merganser.

Are these tightly cropped? There are also some CA issues going on in the first one. I suspect you should try not to use the 400mm at the far end of the zoom to improve that.

I have notice some purple CA when using the TCE-20.... you are dead on about that. The ducks were very wary.. and were staying in dappled shadow. I need to find someplace along there to setup a blind for closer shots.. may do that one of these days.

Try to get lower so you are at eye level, it makes a massive difference with wildlife photography.

Try to get lower so you are at eye level, it makes a massive difference with wildlife photography.

Yes.. agree totally! Unfortunately, this canal has high and steep sides. It would be most difficult to get to water level, without taking a bath! I have seriously considered digging out the rappelling gear though! :)

I thought you knew the rules.....no duck shots!!! I will spank you later!!

I thought you knew the rules.....no duck shots!!! I will spank you later!!

Yippee! Exactly the response I was hoping for! (Waiting impatiently!) lol! ;)

I didn't know you did wildlife Gipson.
6475835533_5cdef6ff9b_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back