What's new

Mani's photos - critiques welcome.

manyvan2000

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 10, 2013
Messages
43
Reaction score
5
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I have a long way to go when it comes to photography. Hopefully, someone will look at these and suggest me how to improve my photography. Please feel free to point out what I did not get right and what I could have done to make these better. I use Adobe Photoelements to correct brightness/contrast/color and some cropping. Don't think I can afford Photoshop anytime soon. My gear is a D5100 with 35/1.8, 50/1.8, 18-55, 55-300 and 70-300 lenses.

I will start with a sunrise - from Maine.


DSC_0994 by manyvan2000, on Flickr


DSC_0029 by manyvan2000, on Flickr


DSC_0920 by manyvan2000, on Flickr

And, thanks for visiting this thread and your comments.

Mods: Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. Please let me know if I need to move this to a different section.
 
This was on the way to Maine - had to stop for the night because of the blizzard. This fire hydrant was quite interesting - looked like it was begging to be released from the shackles before it freezes to death. Not sure if I got it right.


DSC_0120.2 by manyvan2000, on Flickr
 
The original was sharp. I added some blur to see how it turns out - now I am confused if the blur was a good idea :(.


DSC_0040 by manyvan2000, on Flickr
 
1, 2, and 3 - what are the subjects? The trees? The sky? The trees are cut off at the knees.. so it cant be the trees! The Sky? Well, no.. then there wouldn't be crippled trees in the shots... I am confused! ;) Read up on Photographic Composition

#4 underexposed..... centered in the frame. Read up on Photographic Composition

#5 A frozen tree... underexposed.... you might want to try Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

#6.. SUBJECT???? Blur added in post is usually a BIG mistake.... read up on Using Depth of Field and check this out... Online Depth of Field Calculator (the stuff suggested above will apply also!
 
1, 2, and 3 - what are the subjects? The trees? The sky? The trees are cut off at the knees.. so it cant be the trees! The Sky? Well, no.. then there wouldn't be crippled trees in the shots... I am confused! ;) Read up on Photographic Composition

#4 underexposed..... centered in the frame. Read up on Photographic Composition

#5 A frozen tree... underexposed.... you might want to try Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

#6.. SUBJECT???? Blur added in post is usually a BIG mistake.... read up on Using Depth of Field and check this out... Online Depth of Field Calculator (the stuff suggested above will apply also!

Thanks for your comments cgipson1. I have the books you mentioned and am still learning.

About your comments:
1,2 &3 : I take it as I need to make up my mind on the subject :). My subjects on these three were the trees with the sky on the background. I will read up more on the composition. BTW, how do I get the trees without cutting them off at the knees when there are ugly buildings around them? Also, if the sky were to be my subject, what should I have done?
4: Underexposed - got it.
5: I need to learn how to get a better exposure with those bright lights in the background. I will experiment more and try to learn.
6: The subject was the lamp with snow falling off it. I should have tried to zoom in I guess. I tried to use the DOF, but they were at the same distance, so couldnt get what I wanted. Maybe I should have cropped it instead of adding the blur. And yes, I thought the blur on pp was a bad idea too.
 
When backlit, Full trees are probably better (depends on the tree, background, etc though).... and exposed for the background sky (and underexposed a bit ). That creates a tree silhouette, and a gorgeous sunset... which is what I "Think" you were after? Sometimes if there are buildings, etc.. in the way.. you can't get the shot you want.

I don't really have any good sunset tree shots to demo with.. but think this will get the point across ... lol! Which do you prefer?

$2.webp $3.webp

Sometimes you can remove buildings and other annoyances in post also....
 
Wow, wish I could be this good.

When backlit, Full trees are probably better (depends on the tree, background, etc though).... and exposed for the background sky (and underexposed a bit ). That creates a tree silhouette, and a gorgeous sunset... which is what I "Think" you were after? Sometimes if there are buildings, etc.. in the way.. you can't get the shot you want.

You are spot on. That is exactly what I was after.

I don't really have any good sunset tree shots to demo with.. but think this will get the point across ... lol! Which do you prefer?

Lol - its not my preference that sucks - its my skills.

Sometimes you can remove buildings and other annoyances in post also....

I will remember that. Thanks for the tip. Looks like joining this forum is not a bad idea after all. I am learning already.
 
The first set of landscapes..... no centered horizons. Good on ya. You musta read sumptin, somewahre.

Keep shooting and enjoy.
 
Hey manny, not to pi$$ in your cornflakes, but this thread seems to be more of a showcase than a request for C&C. Nothing wrong with either, but just be mindfull of which way you want to go.
 
The first set of landscapes..... no centered horizons.

Thanks for the comment, Kundalini. Centered horizons - I will work on that.

Good on ya. You musta read sumptin, somewahre.

Not sure what you mean.

Keep shooting and enjoy.

Definitely.

He means.. DO NOT center the horizons, just in case you misunderstood. You will see guidelines for that in any composition reading you do....

Check this out: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...58-hazy-day-without-much-sun.html#post2842816
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom