Manual Setting Olympus E510

I have a E-510 also.

When you say it "froze", how long? Was there a red light blinking towards the upper right on the backand did it happen right after you took a photo? That light (which sometimes your thumb ends up being right over it depending on how you hold the camera) shows that the photo is being written to the card. There are a couple of ways where the camera takes a few seconds to write on the card.

a) you have a very slow card (what kind of card are you using?)
b) you shot in burst mode + RAW and the buffer memory got full
c) the worse lag you: shot in burst mode + RAW + a slow card. This last scenario can wreak havoc. The buffer memory fills up and the slow card takes a while to get written on. If you take a look that red light should blink fast onall three occasions until the card is done writing. The camera will prevent you from taking more photos. Make sureif it happens again that you look for that light.

If you are shooting with an xd card check to see which kind you are using (brand and designation) There are three types. Regular (which I doubt you are using because I think they only go upto 512MB, type H and type M with type H being the fastest. You will get some lag on the type M especially in above scenarios.

Same goes with Compact Flash and microdrive. Check to see the type of those cards that you have also.

Hope this helps and that this is your situationsince it is fixable rather than a mechanical failure.

When it froze nothing was blinking. The last picture I took was still on the screen on the back. Nothing worked. I couldnt even turn it off at first. Then I was able to turn it off and it worked fine again, but it took about three or four minutes...it was so weird. It happened twice.

I have to look up the information on the memory card cause my camera is at home, but thank you so much for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. You guys are awesome!!

Most reactions

Back