Masked Lapwing / Spur wing

nzmacro

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Masked Lapwing here is slightly different to the northern hemisphere Lapwing. The mask around the head area is different in our species.

Also known here as the Spur winged Plover and the "Spur wing" side of it comes from the spurs that jut out from the wings. These Lapwings tend to be an alarm or warning to other birds when anyone gets near any area they are in. Drives you nuts with the noise these can put out. They are only too happy to take on a Hawk or Harrier in flight, deadly little birds these ones when upset ;) They can scrap !!

#1: Trying to show the spurs that come out of the front of the wings, can't see the spurs when they are on the ground, only in flight.

orig.jpg

#2: Coming around

orig.jpg

#3: Heading through

orig.jpg

#4: Coming through in a pair

orig.jpg

#5: Flaps down

orig.jpg

#6: On a dull day

orig.jpg

#7: Off and about

orig.jpg

#8: On the deck and notice how the spurs don't show.

orig.jpg

Sony NEX-7 and Canon FD 500 F/4.5L

All the best folks and that's the Masked Lapwing

Danny.

Great work :) Number 3 for me. Magic shot. Perfect combination of background, sharpness, dof and timing. We just call them plovers this side of the ditch. Were they screaming at you the entire time? :p

Great work :) Number 3 for me. Magic shot. Perfect combination of background, sharpness, dof and timing. We just call them plovers this side of the ditch. Were they screaming at you the entire time? :p

Yeah you will know how noisy these are over there Dan, crazy birds mate. BTW, superb shots on your flickr account, birds and macro / close-up. Excellent work ;)

Danny.

Not only beautiful captures, but very interesting because I did not know that some species of birds had these spurs. Fascinating! Lee

Beautiful! Interesting. Amazing! And #3 for me too.

Wow I love these! So interesting!! I'm attempting to learn to shoot BIF, so these were great to look at!

Nice shots as always Danny.. What are those yellow pointy things on their wings used for? Never seen anything like it.

Nice shots as always Danny.. What are those yellow pointy things on their wings used for? Never seen anything like it.

Hey thanks folks.

Yeah Raj, apparently they do use them as a defence. These are scared of nothing, seen them attack Harriers that are much larger than they are, the Harrier doesn't stand a chance Raj ;)

All the best and thanks again.

Danny.

Hey thanks folks.

Yeah Raj, apparently they do use them as a defence. These are scared of nothing, seen them attack Harriers that are much larger than they are, the Harrier doesn't stand a chance Raj ;)

All the best and thanks again.

Danny.

Hah, nature is amazing, the more you know it!

Awesome shots and educational. Thanks for sharing Danny,

Most reactions

Back