Medium Format Film

Bigguy136

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm very new to film photography and just got a Mamiya RB67 and M645 1000S camera (see into thread for details). I know the difference between 120 and 220 film and have the backs for either but is there anything else I need to know? I plan on taking daytime outdoor nature photos of still objects. I also plan on having the film developed and scanned to digital. Are all companies doing this service the same?
Thanks, Kevin

It is all very well having backs for 220 but you will struggle to find 220 film. Where you get film developed depends on where you live. In the UK, there are a number of places that do a good job of developing and scanning - no, they are not all the same.

Do you have manuals? I didn't find loading film backs to be intuitive.

It is all very well having backs for 220 but you will struggle to find 220 film. Where you get film developed depends on where you live. In the UK, there are a number of places that do a good job of developing and scanning - no, they are not all the same.

Good to know. I saw a few on-line film developers that also scan to digital. Any on-line company recommendations?
I haven't tried loading any film yet. I was looking on Amazon and there are many choices. I suppose I will also screw up the first roll or two trying to load...

Be VERY VERY selective on where you have film developed these days.

MANY outfits are developing the film, scanning it in, printing the files digitally and then.........(hang on to your jewels!)....... destroy the film.

You end up with lo-res 4x6 prints and NO negatives.

Where to send your film depends largely upon what portion of the globe you happen to reside.

MANY outfits are developing the film, scanning it in, printing the files digitally and then.........(hang on to your jewels!)....... destroy the film.

Where to send your film depends largely upon what portion of the globe you happen to reside.
I haven't heard of anyone in the UK doing that. I am fortunate in having a local lab (Snappy Snaps in Lincoln) that do a superb job - even to the point of asking me what length I want the negatives cut.

I live in the USA (Twin Cities, MN)
I'm not trying to promote anyone but I was looking at thedarkroom dot com. They show $11 to develop, scan to digital and return ship a CD and negatives.

I live in the USA (Twin Cities, MN)
I'm not trying to promote anyone but I was looking at thedarkroom dot com. They show $11 to develop, scan to digital and return ship a CD and negatives.
If I knew more and likes black and white, I would grab all of their processing supplies and develop myself. Maybe this will become a new passion and I will go in that direction.

Ask about the scanning, and how high- or low-resolution it is; many places are offering crappy, low-rez scans as sort of "previews", and a simple way to get images, "Into a computer," at a scan rez that just sucks for serious work.

If I knew more and likes black and white, I would grab all of their processing supplies and develop myself. Maybe this will become a new passion and I will go in that direction.

You can easily get everything you need to soup b&w for around $100, chemicals included.

You might want to check with some of the local brick-n-mortar camera stores for processing.

Good to know. I saw a few on-line film developers that also scan to digital. Any on-line company recommendations?
I haven't tried loading any film yet. I was looking on Amazon and there are many choices. I suppose I will also screw up the first roll or two trying to load...

These used to be based 10 minutes walk from my home in the UK but moved to Canada late last year they do a wonderful job and probably the best scans you will be able to get online
http://canadianfilmlab.com/

I haven't heard of anyone in the UK doing that. I am fortunate in having a local lab (Snappy Snaps in Lincoln) that do a superb job - even to the point of asking me what length I want the negatives cut.

Uk film lab now Canadian film lab hold onto the negs but only till they have a good amount to make it cheaper for postage or you can request to have them sent but they don't destroy

You might try Film Photography Project for 220 film if it's important enough to try that, or just stick to 120.

As for developing, as Derrel said, check the scan resolution and make sure they return your film. I've sent color film to Dwayne's and they seem fine. There's another place, whose name escapes right now, that does an excellent job with color scans, though of course they are a bit pricier. I'll dig around and get the name for you a bit later.

You could develop the film yourself - it's not hard and the costs are low after the initial outlay - but you would still have the job of scanning or printing yourself or sending it out for scanning.

If you decided film is awesome and you want to take the plunge, that's when you start thinking about the DIY costs and time investment. Until then, shoot a few rolls, send them out to a place that gives you good high-res scans (it makes a difference!), and then decide what it's worth to you to keep shooting film.

Having said all that, I love medium format and my Mamiyas, and I can't help but feel like you're gonna get sucked right in! ;) :D

I see a couple of labs in your area that look like they process film may be worth calling a few.

As for film I seem to have a far easier time getting 120 than 220 and FWIW 22o seems to be falling by the wayside a bit. In reality, frame count aside its physically the same film just without the paper backing on the roll. The outcome should be identical.

either way you go MF is way different than 35mm and you will love it right away.

Regards
Dave

There's a difference in the film holders, however. A 120 film holder will have the pressure plate just a bit further back to accommodate the thickness of the paper backing. 220 film will not have a paper backing, so the pressure plate needs to be moved towards the lens to maintain proper focus.

Some cameras build their film gate systems so the pressure plate is adjustable. Others require you physically change it to an entirely different piece.

There's a difference in the film holders, however. A 120 film holder will have the pressure plate just a bit further back to accommodate the thickness of the paper backing. 220 film will not have a paper backing, so the pressure plate needs to be moved towards the lens to maintain proper focus.

Some cameras build their film gate systems so the pressure plate is adjustable. Others require you physically change it to an entirely different piece.

Interesting I did not know that! I was more referencing the physical film which to my understanding is the same strip. But it does make sense that the plate is different. I never looked into the 24 back for my V system but I assumed something must be different.

For the record I just checked B&H and they currently have no 220 film listed for sale.

Regards
Dave

Most reactions

Back