Memory card issues

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I have a memory card problem. I have a Sandisk extreme Pro 1G card I have probably 50-80 images on it. I can see the images in my camera so I know they are there but when I try to upload them to my computer (and I have tried my laptop and my desktop) I get a message that says "this card has not been formatted would you like to format? of course I say no but then it just shuts down the download selection so I cannot get my images. So I need a sugestion from anyone that can help me wht can I do?!?!?! HEL HELP HELP!!.

I used to get that message all the time, but it's been a while and I'm not sure I remember what fixed it.

1. If you are using a card reader, try uploading from the camera, using the USB cable and vice versa.
2. If you are using the standard file system browser for you OS, try uploading through specialized software (like whatever came with the camera).
3. If you are using Windows, try using a friend's Mac, or the other way around. -- This is a kind of temporary solution, but at least it gives some indication of the problem.

If none of those changes work, I found a site that reviews software written to recover files from corrupt media... http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php
I would be skeptical if there is no demo or trial, but if the photos are really important or you can find a good review of one of the products.....
.... oh here is one that has a trial, http://www.5starshare.com/Secure_Digital_Card_Recovery-soft48587.html

Of course, if you have a geeky friend, give it to them and see if they can get the data for you! ;)

P.S. I don't know how much general knowledge you have already on memory card use, but the quote:
"I would change items 1 and 2 to say the following:
"Use the camera's format command to delete all previous images. Do not delete any images from the card in any other way."
For item 3:
"Do not make any changes to the card while it's connected to your computer. Let the camera be the only device that makes changes to the card."

From the comments section of http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2007/07/card-practices.html sums it up well. Those tips should maximize the longevity of any memory card, while also reducing MOST problems like this one.

Well I have never used my computer to change my card that is one thing in my limite knowledge I do know. I always format my card in my camera so I am not sure why this happened. I am afraid to give my camera to my "geeky" friend becaus the last time I gave him something a fried hard drive he just threw it away because he just assumed I would not want to pay what it would cast to recover the pictures that were on it (my baby's first halloween and also her baptism) so I do not trust him so now I guess I need to find that cord to connect my camera I have not used that in a while. Any other suggetsions??.

JIP, do you have a copy of Knoppix?

It's a Linux OS that is contained on a CD/DVD that you can boot to and use should your hdd become FUBARED. Often Linux can go and get something that Windows snubs.

This isn't a quick fix if you are unfamiliar with Linux but it's worth a download (free) to have as a backup!

JIP, do you have a copy of Knoppix?

Often Linux can go and get something that Windows snubs.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too... Good idea with using a LiveCD! JIP - If you want help trying to get data using Linux, definitely just ask! Since Linux won't write to your HDD, it would be good to have a USB drive handy as well so that you can flip the data from the problematic SD card to the USB key and then use that to get your data in Windows.

I am afraid to give my camera to my "geeky" friend becaus the last time I gave him something a fried hard drive he just threw it away because he just assumed I would not want to pay what it would cast to recover the pictures that were on it (my baby's first halloween and also her baptism) so I do not trust him.

-_- It's sad when someone violates your trust like that, especially when you are really counting on them :(

Did you try downloading directly from the camera? I have a card that will not download through the card reader, but downloads if you go directly from the camera.

take card to high street photo printer and see if they come up on the screen if they do print out the pics and pay for a disc if the pics are really special.

then format and start again

Sometimes it is possible to open the card directly - forget downloading requests and drag the individual fies to your desktop.

Well see that's the problem whenever I try to access the card it asks me to format it and of course I do not want to erase the images I want to view them.

O.k. so a little bump and now a further question. I think I may try to go from the card in the camera into my PC. So now I have another problem I have either misplaced my cord for my camera or it is right in front of me but I see alot of cords that have the small USB to regular USB and I am not sure exactly wich one is truly the one for my camera. Is it ok to use any old cord that has the right connections or is there a specific cord that comes with the camera that should only be used?.

Any cable should be okay, they all conform to the USB standard. It's a mini usb on the camera end and a standard 'A' Usb connector for the computer end. The same cables are used for portable hard drives and cell phones also.
USBweb.jpg

Most reactions

Back