Memory card or camera problem??

A few questions. Can the 50D actually support a 16-gigabyte CF card? Is that large a card supported?

Does the 50D follow the old Canon PITA rule of only 99 images per folder? Is the 50D set to "DISPLAY ALL" folders, or is it set to "DISPLAY ___ folder"? When did Canon move from the Only-99 images per folder routine, to something a bit more modern? Wasn't that innovation premiered
in late 2009, on the 7D, as the first Canon camera that could support more than 99 frames in each folder inside the DCIM folder?

At one time, even 4-gigabyte memory cards were NOT supported by virtually any digital camera due to FAT-32 file system limitations. When the 50D came out, a 16-gigabyte card was world-class-leading and probably cost $600, if my memory serves me correctly.

I am really not sure if the 50D is new enough to be able to address more than 4, or perhaps 8 gigs of storage.

I have been shooting with these cards for at least 6-8 months with no problems. I think I may take it into canon since I live 15 min from it and see what they say.

people have tried using newer cards older NIkons too and have had problems. I know from having had an old d70 in the past what would work with it.
but I'm clueless on the age of Canon cameras.
But take it in to Canon . they'll be able to figure it out, hopefully.

A few questions. Can the 50D actually support a 16-gigabyte CF card? Is that large a card supported?

Does the 50D follow the old Canon PITA rule of only 99 images per folder? Is the 50D set to "DISPLAY ALL" folders, or is it set to "DISPLAY ___ folder"? When did Canon move from the Only-99 images per folder routine, to something a bit more modern? Wasn't that innovation premiered
in late 2009, on the 7D, as the first Canon camera that could support more than 99 frames in each folder inside the DCIM folder?

At one time, even 4-gigabyte memory cards were NOT supported by virtually any digital camera due to FAT-32 file system limitations. When the 50D came out, a 16-gigabyte card was world-class-leading and probably cost $600, if my memory serves me correctly.

I am really not sure if the 50D is new enough to be able to address more than 4, or perhaps 8 gigs of storage.

I have been shooting with these cards for at least 6-8 months with no problems. I think I may take it into canon since I live 15 min from it and see what they say.

I used a 16GB card on my 40D, so I'd be pretty surprised if the 50D had problems.

The 50D shouldn't have an issue with a 16gb card. I'd try removing the battery (and the watch battery) and letting it sit for a few minutes. If that doesn't work try to reload the firmware. If that doesn't work then I'd send it off to Canon.

The 50D shouldn't have an issue with a 16gb card. I'd try removing the battery (and the watch battery) and letting it sit for a few minutes. If that doesn't work try to reload the firmware. If that doesn't work then I'd send it off to Canon.

How do I reload firmware?

How do I reload firmware?
Go here: Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : EOS 50D
Download the firmware, load it onto a clean card, install a fresh battery in the camera, then go into the camera menu and select "update firmware" ;) It's all pretty simple, and there are instructions included with the firmware as well.

Most reactions

Back