Metz 50mZ-5, preventing blowout

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a bazillion years ago the old man put out a ton of money for an old Metx Potato-masher type flash that he connected to his old Busch.

The thing was bright to say the least and worked for his B&W shooting int he day.

Recently I came across a Metz 50mZ-5 with a Canon controller and the ability to hook that up to the Blad. If I get the right adapter, I could also hook it to the mamiya as well.

But, my question is that I have had issues before with the blowout from a Canon 430 ex despite moving it around and playing constantly with adjustments.

How much experience do folks have with the Metz and avoiding the blowouts that can come from over exposure?
I know its mostly in the camera, but finding the finesse point is the trick.

You need to know how to work the flash. For example, is the Flash working correctly to regulate the flash output? In manual flash mode are you setting the correct f/stop for the flash to subject distance?

My experience is with a very powerful potato masher called the Sunpak 622 Super,which was billed as the most powerful potato masher ever made. It had both automatic and manual mode. As long as the piece of equipment is working correctly and you know how to operate it, there should be no problems

Last edited:
You need to know how to work the flash. For example, is the Flash working correctly to regulate the flash output? In manu flash mode are you selling the correct f/stop for the flash to subject distance?

My experience is with a very powerful potato masher called the sun back 622 Super,which was billed as the most powerful potato masher ever made. It had both automatic and manual mode. As long as the piece of equipment is working correctly you know how to operate it, there should be no problems

I am now getting use to the 430 and have had good success in the past in full auto mode, but following distance measurements and angling the flash caused the blowouts.
Given other aspects and the deal on the Metz I took it, but yes a bit unfamiliar with its total function.
I am looking for a manual on it, and will practice quite a bit before employing it out.

So is there a way to alter its flash radius or direction in a specific way or are there other aspects to realize?

Sigh...
Now I REALLY feel stupid.
I have never seen any of the tips they show in this manual before.

What is the origin of the expression
RTFM, which as we all know stands for "read the fine manual", or according to some other people "read the furnished manual"...

is that like JAFO?

The other day I was trying to use a new monitor.
I could not find the power switch to turn it on.
RTFM. But the 2 page "manual" was totally useless. No description of ANY of the buttons. :confused:
I found the power switch when I accidentally bumped what I thought was a decorative feature, which turned out to be the power switch.
Still have not figured out what the other 4 buttons are for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back