Microsoft adds RAW photo file support to Windows

I can't on mine, MS asks me what i'd like to open it with and none of the MS stuff does it. Not on the MS list I posted either. Lightroom and Elements FTW
iconhammer.gif

Windows 7 and Vista only... looks like those of us still using XP are left out.

I'm on Win 7 pro. XP they announced would no longer be supported a while ago.

I'm confused - I've been able to view thumbnails and images in window picture viewer for years now - and all of them were RAW. Sure you had to install the RAW codec off your camera CD, but since you get that with your camera when new (or can get it off the website if secondhand) and since you'd also need the new codec for each new camera (since they are mostly all unique) then I can't see how this is a big step forward
Me too, so I also don't get what the big deal is.

Some of us have multiple cameras and some of us process photos from several different manufacturers. It's nice to have an all in one stop. I often trade RAW files back and forth with people just to compare our processing. Being able to download most of the codecs from one update is convenient for me.

True, but still its really only a convenience move rather than a game changer since you've only got to get to the manufacturers website and download the codecs - a few moments and then you don't need to do it again. I'm not saying its not a good move, the more integration there is the easier it is for us, but its just not a gamechanger

I've been able to view my raw files from my 350D and 5D for quite some time now using microsoft's raw image viewer. I use windows XP...

I still can't see mine =( Can anyone help? I downloaded the file and nothing. Of course the T3i is not listed...

I had to install 2x before i was able to view.

Apparently someone over at Microsoft got their hands on an old Apple computer and found that raw support was built into their OS and figured out that it might be a good idea. I am happy for all you Microsoft users for being brought into the 21st Century.

There must be something about using a Mac that makes people act poorly in mixed company.

Apparently someone over at Microsoft got their hands on an old Apple computer and found that raw support was built into their OS and figured out that it might be a good idea. I am happy for all you Microsoft users for being brought into the 21st Century.

There must be something about using a Mac that makes people act poorly in mixed company.

It must still hurt that they wouldn't be around without the bailout bill Gates gave them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I downloaded the files but it just changed the image to CR2 with a camera aperture picture thing. Anyone else have that problem? Before if I clicked on them it went to picasa image viewer now it goes strait to RAW. Why does software always have to be so difficult?

It must still hurt that they wouldn't be around without the bailout bill Gates gave them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm sure that they got over it after surpassing Exxon in total value.

Why are you guys bothering with Microstupid for this? There's been a FREE alternative available for years.

I use Irfanview for quite a bit, but people are talking about just being able to browse the file exporer and see the thumbnails. It does help if there is only one image I want to edit. Instead, I have to either open Bridge, or open Irfanview, find the file, and then make note of the file number, and then open it in Photoshop. Not exactly convenient.

For the 32 bit Windows, I never had a problem. Still haven't found a solution with my 64 bit verison of Windows.

Why are you guys bothering with Microstupid for this? There's been a FREE alternative available for years.

I use Irfanview for quite a bit, but people are talking about just being able to browse the file exporer and see the thumbnails. It does help if there is only one image I want to edit. Instead, I have to either open Bridge, or open Irfanview, find the file, and then make note of the file number, and then open it in Photoshop. Not exactly convenient.

For the 32 bit Windows, I never had a problem. Still haven't found a solution with my 64 bit verison of Windows.

Seriously, I have 64 bit that might be the problem. Why would there better operating system be supported less than the step down. No friggin sense.

Seriously, I have 64 bit that might be the problem. Why would there better operating system be supported less than the step down. No friggin sense.

Well, it is what it is, for right now. The 64 bit does not, at this time, have RAW file support.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back