Minolta x700 film-speed ring problem!!!

tak13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey, I am new to this forum and I got this little problem that need some advices on.
I just bought this Minolta x700 on ebay. All other stuffs work fine, the shutter, lens, rewind handle, etc... But this film-speed ring doesn't works. It is loose. When I lift it up and turn it, it is very sluggish and hard to turn since it is loose. And the number indicator does not moves when I turn the ring. It stays at 400.
What is the problem?
Does this thing need expert's repair or could I repair it myself?
Does this thing is just an external problem or internal as well.
Let say, if I am not going to fix it, does it affects alot on my photo shooting? I know it control the ISO of the film so but I still have the shutter speed and the aperture.
I have the video recording myself trying to turn it. Please take a look!
Link:

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if you turn the whole assembly clockwise, a few turns - does it tighten-up?

You mean just lift the ring up and turn it, if so it just keep turning it for a while and it stuck but if I do it again, it will keep turning. But if you mean when I push down the button and turn it, it does stop.

Lift the ring and turn it (do not press the button) ... does it turn the internal ISO ring ?

you mean does the number change if I just lift and turn it, then no. The numbers does not change. It stuck at 400.

The rewind handle is works just fine. I don't have the film inside but I open the back, it does spin inside when I spin it. Oh, and one more thing, the exposure-adjustment control work somewhat, but it still very sluggish when I push the button and turn it. Basically, the whole ring is pretty sluggish. I am not sure if it works when I put the actual film in it, it just the mechanism of it that work. I haven't try film on it yet.

I thought maybe the silver ring beneath should be tight against the top panel of the cam. Grip both the selector ring and the silver ring beneath it and turn it clockwise a few. does the whole assembly tighten up.

also,,have you tried it with a film cannister inserted?

Ok.
If you do not have experience with camera dissassembly ... then don't.

The light meter works ?
If you set + or - 2 exposure compensation ... does it do anything to the meter reading ?

the light meter, do you mean the +/- red light when you look into the viewfinder, then yeah it works. If I turn it to -2,-1 or +2, +1 it flashing, and at 0 it stop flashing.

OK. Then you have some capability of adjusting film speed.

As the ISO is stuck at 400 ... you will need to use the Exposure Comp to adjust for the actual speed of the film.
ie 100 ISO = +2, 200 ISO = +1, 400 = 0, 800 =-1 and 1600 = -2

Seems like the plastic lock that move ISO speed is broke, prolly
from someone forcing it without lifting it.

so basically, this thing could only be fixed by professionals. So do you guys know how much to repair this? I bought this for $38 total.
Oh, and god I just have another problem. This time it's the film advance lever. It worked like a charm just a moment ago but now it acting weird. So usually after you fire a shot the lever would be neutral again right, the next time you turn the lever you would feel some tension to it. But mine is just no tension at all, I fired my shutter release and nothing happen. The film indicator is at S. The battery is still new. I still see the light through the viewfinder.
Here is the video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like its failing quickly. Might cost more than its worth.
Some of those old cams use plastic parts that move other mechanical
components and if the plastic is old or components too tight and need
lube, the plastic notches will shear off.

Never mind, I found the problem for the film advance lever, it turn out the motor drive is jammed, so I turn the thing on the bottom with a coin, and it worked. sweet. Now, the only problem left is the film-speed ring.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back