Misconceptions

There's a kind of German idiom that says that somewhere extremely remote and far away from about anything, further than the neck of the woods and the back of beyond and the middle of nowhere, then that is "in Wallachia".

So although I must admit :)oops: ) that my geography is so poor I never knew that "the famous Wallachia" is in Romania :blulsh2:, I have always "known" the place (in that misconception manner of "knowing" only, of course).

You know where I last had real Eisbein and Sauerkraut, Alex (and just for the fun of having it THERE, for THERE it was kind of exotic)?

In Australia!

I'd never neither have it nor cook it here!

what is a chip shop?

A Chip Shop or 'chippy' is a wonder to behold!
Its a place where one can buy British delicacies such as
fish and chips
mushy peas
sausage and chips
spam fritter and chips

yummy .. chips with salt&vinegar ... that I really consider a delicacie .. but only when served wrapped in old newspapers (which I guess it illegal these days :( )

....it would be a good time to mention that your chips and our chips aren't the same thing. ;)

Your Chips are our fries:

013-fish-and-chips.jpg

(image courtesy of google image search)

Our Chips:

Trans_main.jpg

(again, image courtesy of google image search. ;) )

Transylvania=Dracula and Dracula=Vampire.

...and also the Cheeky Girls. My favourite Transylvanian export :mrgreen:

As for accents I can't really tell the difference between a Canadian and American accent. Is there much of a difference?

...and also the Cheeky Girls. My favourite Transylvanian export :mrgreen:

As for accents I can't really tell the difference between a Canadian and American accent. Is there much of a difference?

There can be a bit of a difference....but often I don't think there is a big one. A while back I talked to one of our Canadian friends from this forum on the phone, and I can't say I recall noticing an accent.

....it would be a good time to mention that your chips and our chips aren't the same thing. ;)

Your Chips are our fries:

Hmm, in some circles there people agree on fries being thinner and longer, whereas chips are thicker and still got more of the potato-shape.

At may fastfood places in the UK you get fries ;)

Our Chips:

those are crisps ;)

however, in Germany we call them chips...

Is a chip buttie a fried potato sandwich?
I could see that each bite slows down your heart like an engine under load.

There's a kind of German idiom that says that somewhere extremely remote and far away from about anything, further than the neck of the woods and the back of beyond and the middle of nowhere, then that is "in Wallachia".

So although I must admit :)oops: ) that my geography is so poor I never knew that "the famous Wallachia" is in Romania :blulsh2:, I have always "known" the place (in that misconception manner of "knowing" only, of course).

:lol:

Corinna, the actual Romania has three distinctive regions:

Transylvania, Wallachia and Moldova. I was born in Wallachia (Bucharest) but my mom was born in Transylvania and my dad in Moldova.

A Chip Shop or 'chippy' is a wonder to behold!
Its a place where one can buy British delicacies such as
fish and chips
mushy peas
sausage and chips
spam fritter and chips
I thought about actually saying "Chippy" but then realised few people would know what that was!!
:lol:

Is a chip buttie a fried potato sandwich?
I could see that each bite slows down your heart like an engine under load.

I suppose you could put it like that, but it doesn't make it sound too appertising!

chipbutty.jpg

homemade Chips on buttered white bread. Make yourself one at home, i bet you'll love it :)

Most reactions

Back