Misconceptions

mountains, skiing, cost of living much higher than Dallas, Columbine, people instantly can spot a Texas accent, lots of snow & ice.

Tennesse- I think of moonshine, Elvis, country music, coal miners, mountains...
You pretty much got it for rural East TN, where I'm from. If you go into Knoxville, you're in a melting pot. People from everywhere are there, bringing different cultures all into one place..but that's about how it is for any bigger city I suppose. :)

The stereotypical impression of a Scotland is that we all go around wearing kilts saying "och aye the noo", have ginger hair never want to spend money and always want to fight the English, probably due to Braveheart!!
:lol:

just go to Fort William :lol:

Hummm. A little state called New Mexico!
Where do I begin with the misconceptions of our little state? No, we are not part of Mexico and most people do speak english. We are educated most of the time and above all the Balloon Fiesta is not a wonderful event.. It is a traffic producing mad house.. It causes accidents through out the two weeks and most people are just grumpy.. Although some beautiful photos can be taken during this time..

The stereotypical impression of a Scotland is that we all go around wearing kilts saying "och aye the noo", have ginger hair never want to spend money and always want to fight the English, probably due to Braveheart!!
:lol:

That must be the Highlands and Islands. I thought you lot were all deep fried Mars bars and Glasgow kisses on a Friday night :lmao:

Where do I begin with the misconceptions of our little state? No, we are not part of Mexico and most people do speak english. We are educated most of the time and above all the Balloon Fiesta is not a wonderful event.. It is a traffic producing mad house.. It causes accidents through out the two weeks and most people are just grumpy.. Although some beautiful photos can be taken during this time..
Little?! :lol:

First thing that pops into my mind is, "Red or Green?"

My cousins are from Taos. I've been told that people from Taos hate us Texans. Something about when Texans are there to ski & such, they are snobs. Oh, they really make fun of my Texas accent. It is pretty bad. I've been to Taos twice that is the only time I've seen mountains. It was beautiful. Went to Albuqerque (SP?) & something in the air killed my nose! Oh the allergies!

The people in Taos are snobs add Santa Fe to the list but in Albuquerque we love Texans they make us laugh. It is rare when you can combine an accent and spanish where people still can understand what you are saying.. The mountains and sunsets are to die for here. The thing that most likely killed your nose was those snobby Taos people.. Your nose could not handle nice folks...

The people in Taos are snobs add Santa Fe to the list but in Albuquerque we love Texans they make us laugh. It is rare when you can combine an accent and spanish where people still can understand what you are saying.. The mountains and sunsets are to die for here. The thing that most likely killed your nose was those snobby Taos people.. Your nose could not handle nice folks...

LOL:lmao:

I had the misconception that a lot of people I met in Texas would have accents. I can count the accents I heard on my fingers, and I've spent around two weeks there total, in Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, and Dallas (and the highways in between).

And when I first talked to clarinetjwd (from Houston) for the first time, i was surprised there wasn't even a hint of an accent, even though he TOLD me beforehand he didn't have one.

yeah, not everyone around here has an accent. I think if you are more in the cities instead of the country the accents aren't as bad. If you ever talk to me on the phone you will definately hear an accent.

Well, my profession allows me to meet many people(Children/ Families).. The number one question by far would be, " Is it safe to drink the water here?
I guess I am just as bad assuming that most have accents in Texas..

Well, my profession allows me to meet many people(Children/ Families).. The number one question by far would be, " Is it safe to drink the water here?
I guess I am just as bad assuming that most have accents in Texas..

I can't believe people ask about the water. That never crossed my mind when I've been there.

I guess it comes down to the idea that people are not informed about life in general.. I bet there are things in other states that I would be clueless about.. I have also been asked if the Peso is still good here.. Above all it provides a great laugh..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back