Misty lake + rowboat - C&C welcome

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Flush, May 16, 2011.

1. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like this photo quite a bit but only the first (or original) version. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling.

Asking others' thought about the creative side of an image will only give a whole bunch of different edits, none of which may be any better than what your mind's eye saw in the first place. In this case I don't think the edits are as strong and the B&W I actually find kinda boring.

2. Flush

Flush TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't like the B&W nearly as much either, but it's a quick edit so I gave it a go.

I'm still quite new to photography and so far I've just concentrated on the technical aspects of it. As I said earlier, I hadn't even thought about how the lights affect the mood of the image. When this was shot, I was concentrating on keeping the ISO low and giving the lake a soft look by having a long shutter speed. And tried to compose it nicely, of course. Not much more.

So getting all this artistic feedback is not what I was expecting, but it's great, very refreshing. Shooting manual has made me think of photography in numbers, it might be time to start going a bit further. So far all my edits have been done in camera raw to adjust contrast, white balance etc. My idea of a good photo has been one that is technically correct.

Time has come to unleash the creative powers of a repressed soul. This thread marks the beginning of a new era.

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to comment.

3. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyway you look at it you have a nice image here. I do prefer it without the lights. Nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhotoTish

PhotoTish No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Oooh now I am waivering! I tend to have a preference for B/W shots but the blue haze is nice too. I think Pursuer is right, anyway you look at it, it is a good image :thumbup:

5. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're welcome.

6. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

I like the look of the first in color but IMO, the dark mass on the right adds little and the dock seems almost pressed against the left margin.
    I think having a little more space on the left, and removing on the right, makes the comp more dynamic and yet adds to the out-there-ness of the empty lakje.

[​IMG]