puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took these in a urban setting...
DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

I really hate to get picky... and I'm no pro, so take this with a grain of salt (but I am repeating things that I have been told are general "rules" with people photography) :)

In the color image, her face looks like it was softened or blurred in PP or something. It looks very fake to me... That is really my only pick on that one...

In the black and white image (now this is really getting picky, but I've been told it's one of the worst things you can do...) it looks like her toes are just slightly cut off at the bottom of the frame.

That's all :) lol

I agree w/ the above.
like the black and white better because the colors behind her are so vibrant in the first one.
I wish her hair was not in here eyes, too.

you're on the right track. just work on lighting!

but for now, increase contrast slightly, and darken background so subject pops...

Referring to #1, I like the lighting, there isn't a shadow to be found, a fill might have brightened it a little, and would be nice to see catch lights, but I don't think the lighting is bad.

Referring to #1, I like the lighting, there isn't a shadow to be found, a fill might have brightened it a little, and would be nice to see catch lights, but I don't think the lighting is bad.
i didn't say the lighting was bad because it isn't. a remote flash or any lighting equipment would have really improved the photos...

EDIT: a couple of photoshop touch ups could really improve this photo.

Last edited:
I'm gonna sound like a jerk by saying this so I apologize ahead of time but..

The wall is showing more personality in these pictures than your model is. The expressionless face combined with the black outfit would be fine in a studio maybe, with neutral colors and smooth textures - letting her stand out. She clashes badly with the graffiti though. If she were wearing something bright on her body and wearing an expression of some kind on her face, the setting might have worked.

EDIT: And I get the idea of contrasting elements, etc... but imo it should be the other way around. That whole idea of light advances, dark recedes, artsy fartsy blah blah

The posing is pretty good but her elbow looks hyper-extended in the first. Barefoot outside bothers me too..

I've never shot a model though - wouldn't know the first thing about what to do if put in that situation.. so don't take me too seriously. Just telling you what I see.

1. Both poses look awkwards to me. In the first pic, looks like the model is about to slip off the can and she have to use her feet to prop her up. On the second pose, looks like her legs are too short to touch the ground and she as to extend her feet.

2. "Why so serious??". She could use a smile....or at least a "happier" face.

I really enjoyed your photos and your compostion. I think the background in number 1 is great and really interesting. I love what she is sitting on. I think you need to increase the contrast a bit to make it really pop. She seems quite a bit blurred. I happen to think that the plain black outfit and expression make her stand apart from the "wild" background.

Most reactions

Back