Model Shoot @ Whetstone Park of Roses

somedesignerguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm decently new here, so I thought my second or third post should be something constructive. So here it is, my second shoot with friend/model MelissaRoshan. I'm still getting my arms around portrait work, model direction, off-camera lighting and various elements. I'm always looking for constructive criticism and this seems to be the perfect place.

This was also my first shoot with a handy DIY light reflector, and I was surprised to see how well it worked out. All were shot on my Canon 50D with either a Canon 50mm f/1.4 or Canon 135mm f/2.0L, both on and off a tripod. The entire shoot took place between 8-9am, just in case anyone was curious.

Here are a few from the shoot; the rest are on my Flickr page. Comments and thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Flickr Page

The exposures are appropriate given the light that you had to work with but a little out of control. I think a scrim would have been useful for moderating the sunlight. You could take care of the rest with fill-flash.

I'm decently new here

Well, I sure hope you're decent :lol:

The light is very harsh considering what time you say you shot those. Makes me think you need to get up earlier or make yourself some diffusers. A bit harder/more involved than DIY reflectors but very feasible. The plumbing section at the hardware store is your friend.

Now, the most important: can I have her phone number? I promise I will not take photos of her. Just want a date :lmao:

She is a beautiful woman and I hope you get to take more shots at her...

I would suggest a little more care in choosing backgrounds. You've made good use of selective focus, but the background is still distinct enough to very distracting.

I would suggest a little more care in choosing backgrounds. You've made good use of selective focus, but the background is still distinct enough to very distracting.

^+1
I really like #1. Considering the light I think its a great shot with a nice calm background. (would be very happy with myself if it was mine!)
In #2 she looks like a one legged woman choked by her scarf. I maybe sounds a bit harsh... (not really meant to;)).

The expression of the model in 3 is real nice. (although a few people will start complaining about it being a horizontal instead of a vertical orientation, but I like the orientation on this)

The exposures are appropriate given the light that you had to work with but a little out of control. I think a scrim would have been useful for moderating the sunlight. You could take care of the rest with fill-flash.
I definitely struggled a bit with the light, and throw the lack of under-shade-shooting to being a bit green when it comes to shooting people. I'm picking up some off-camera lighting equipment this week; a decent scrim seems to be a necessity.

Well, I sure hope you're decent :lol:

The light is very harsh considering what time you say you shot those. Makes me think you need to get up earlier or make yourself some diffusers. A bit harder/more involved than DIY reflectors but very feasible. The plumbing section at the hardware store is your friend.

Now, the most important: can I have her phone number? I promise I will not take photos of her. Just want a date :lmao:

She is a beautiful woman and I hope you get to take more shots at her...
Ha, I will ask if she minds me giving her number out on a photography forum. :D As I said above, some DIY diffuser (or simply buying a decent scrim) will aide in the harsh light issue, along with some better pre-planning. Baby steps, I suppose.

Good call there. I have a bad habit of shooting wide open with much of what I shoot, and it carries over to the portraits at times. This time I was almost too aware of that problem and overcompensated. Thanks for the comments.

^+1
I really like #1. Considering the light I think its a great shot with a nice calm background. (would be very happy with myself if it was mine!)
In #2 she looks like a one legged woman choked by her scarf. I maybe sounds a bit harsh... (not really meant to;)).

The expression of the model in 3 is real nice. (although a few people will start complaining about it being a horizontal instead of a vertical orientation, but I like the orientation on this)
Thanks for the comments and no worries about the criticism, that's what I was hoping to hear as well. I actually love shooting horizontal, even though I know it's a bit on the no-no side for portraiture. I'll get over it eventually... or maybe not. :D

I appreciate the comments everyone.

Thanks for the comments and no worries about the criticism, that's what I was hoping to hear as well. I actually love shooting horizontal, even though I know it's a bit on the no-no side for portraiture. I'll get over it eventually... or maybe not. :D

I appreciate the comments everyone.

My portraits are also often horizontal. Not just because I like it better (can't get over it myself!) but also because newspapers hate vertical photo's, so the most pics I take are horizontal!

The light seems rather contrasty for portrait work. Evening light is often good.

I live in Columbus too.

I can feel that you camera if freaking great!!!

I love your last shot, this is where everything seems to be in harmony: colors, composition, focus, capture, etc...

The first and third are def COOL, but i think you had to play more with light and shade.
It was def sunny that day.
Look at your 1st pic- model's arms are all in the sun, and her face? full shadow.... you had to turn her face the way she looks at the sun)))mmmm...
same with the second one)

Let me show you the kind of light I prefer for photography of this sort:

Helen_adjusted_elements.jpg

As many have already mentioned, a vertical composition is preferable. The reasons should be obvious.

The Park of Roses itself can be quite lovely, but I'm not sure it makes the best background. Looks kind of busy.

Next time, try to turn the model so that her head and body are both at an angle to the lens, and at an angle to each other (see my photo). This is more flattering.

I seriously get tired of people saying portraits need to be vertical. Serious lack of imagination/creativity. I do plenty of them in both direction and never had I seen this as a problem until I came here.

I wonder which direction I should have shot my portraits using a Hassy...:lmao:

Although I don't think yours work very well in this instance (too much space behind her,) keep shooting horizontal portraits if you like them.

I seriously get tired of people saying portraits need to be vertical. Serious lack of imagination/creativity. I do plenty of them in both direction and never had I seen this as a problem until I came here.

I wonder which direction I should have shot my portraits using a Hassy...:lmao:

Although I don't think yours work very well in this instance (too much space behind her,) keep shooting horizontal portraits if you like them.

When people are standing or seated, the photos should be vertical (the body fills the space in the photo better). If they're in a reclining position, then a horizontal will be just fine. It has nothing to do with 'creativity'. Such a remark shows that you don't understand the basics. Why show a bunch of empty space?

:meh:

Hasselblad negatives are intended to be cropped after taking. At the time of exposure, either a vertical or horizontal crop should be planned. Hasselblad intended the camera to be held in one basic position, but not to make square images. They should always be cropped either horizontally or vertically.

;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back