Modeling portfolios for dummies

@ adamsRocksHurt: The newbies that get knocked about here, usually march in telling us how amazing they are, then ask for CC on their "amazing" snapshots, and are in turn "amazed" at the criticism they get. Some have come in, like "naptime", knowing their initial limits, and asking for advice, and I think they have been treated well and fairly. As in any community, checking out who the elders are, who the screamers are, and who are the jokers and pranksters, helps. Most of us are here because we love taking picturesand we love talking about them. So, if you come to learn, welcome. There is much that you will get. As for posting your images, it helps to know how to post to get good CC. Overread did a good writeup here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...e-your-posts-get-critiques-your-work-c-c.html

Sometimes the criticism bites because the poster has no clue how, um, "unusual" their shots are, and has never had to hear from knowledgeable photographers. Good luck.

Agreed on the relative expense on the hobby. However, compared to, say, weightlifting (gym membership) or just playing pick up soccer games with your friends it's pretty expensive. Cameras, lenses, computer programs, hiring teenage girls...

And thanks for the welcome, pgriz. I'm probably not too close to posting shots for CC (I just now figured out what that stood for), but I'll make sure to read that post when I do. As of now I'm going to fool around with the camera to see the limits of both it and myself. I think my strong suit would be my creativity and unique ideas (which hopefully aren't too inaccessible) whereas I freely admit that I have no firm basis on some rules and common knowledge. Still, no way for me to get that except by diving right in, eh?

Agreed on the relative expense on the hobby. However, compared to, say, weightlifting (gym membership) or just playing pick up soccer games with your friends it's pretty expensive. Cameras, lenses, computer programs, hiring teenage girls...

Playing ball in the park with some friends is not exactly a hobby. Getting into sports on a bigger scale gets expensive. As far as gym memberships go, well, you have to keep renewing them. I don't know what they go for in KC but around here, 3 years worth of gym membership will get you a bunch of half way decent photo equipment that will be yours to keep :)

Playing ball in the park with some friends is not exactly a hobby. Getting into sports on a bigger scale gets expensive. As far as gym memberships go, well, you have to keep renewing them. I don't know what they go for in KC but around here, 3 years worth of gym membership will get you a bunch of half way decent photo equipment that will be yours to keep :)

Yeah, I've got some point and clicks, but I'm definitely looking to take a plunge into the DSLR world. Although that's another thread entirely, I would think. I don't have an unlimited budget so I'd probably have to find some sort of "Best DSLRs for under $______" article.

As others have said help her find someone who can help her at the the start. You will be spending all day just trying to figure out how to operate the camera.

As others have said help her find someone who can help her at the the start. You will be spending all day just trying to figure out how to operate the camera.

Nah, I've used it before. It's a Nikon D-90. That's what I can borrow. As for what I can afford, I have to see what my cut is of the haul from these guys paying me to drive them to a bank and back in ten minutes. I don't know why they can't drive themselves, but they said they need a special guy with special skills, a real "Ryan Gosling" type, whatever that means.

Nah, I've used it before. It's a Nikon D-90. That's what I can borrow. As for what I can afford, I have to see what my cut is of the haul from these guys paying me to drive them to a bank and back in ten minutes. I don't know why they can't drive themselves, but they said they need a special guy with special skills, a real "Ryan Gosling" type, whatever that means.

Yeah, sometimes I feel like the banker. :grumpy:
Good Luck.

Thanks again for everyone checking out my thread with their input.

I was wondering, since I only saw what I assume are the "sister sites" to this forum being about the Fire, Droid, iPhone and iPad, etc... if there was a forum similar to this regarding digital camcorders. I actually started more in the writing and directing aspect of creating, and I'd love to get info about what would be affordable and serviceable cameras to look into. I have a FlipHD, but I'd like to get ahold of something that would look decent either projected or on a nice big plasma, although I probably couldn't afford to get whatever they shot Crank 2 on, that being to my knowledge the biggest release shot on the cheapest camera.

And apologies if this is taboo or offtopic, so feel free to wish this post into the cornfield.

(Two movie references in one day? Double points for me!)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-XL-H1-Definition-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000B6D2SU

That's what they shot Crank 2 on, have at it.

Your misconception about the models age, and her being over the hill is outrageous, btw.

I see you're going to be using a Nikon D90... How many times have you used it?

Also, you're asking about placement of lights. What do you have for lighting equipment? Have you used the lighting equipment before?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
DiskoJoe suggested Model Mayhem, and I agree that it is a good place for her to start. There are a lot of models that try to go the Vanity Fair route, but there are also a lot of models that make a living modeling full time for smaller magazines, clothing lines, and photographers that are willing to pay for their time. One model that I had in mind that does this full time, Hattie Watson (ModelMayhem.com - Hattie Watson - Model - Austin, Texas, US), is a good example. She's got a lot of tattoos and in the "modeling industry" some magazines or designers would say she's too short, but she does just fine and I see her all over the internet these days. The girl you're working with can do pretty if she wants to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back