Monitor brightness

Algoessailing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed many times, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. the pictures on my LCD monitor (at home) are much brighter than my monitor at work. And after looking at the few responses from a critique post, I'm pretty sure were not all looking at the same brightness, and my home is the exception, not the rule. So I came up with two solutions:
1. Everyone belonging to TPF must purchase a Sony 17" LCD or...
2. Someone tell me if there some sort of standard to which I can adjust my levels. Thanks

When you get photoshop, it comes with software that lets you adjust the brightness and r/g/b of the screen. Then in theory if you do it right, when you get the pictures printed, they should look pretty close to what you see on the screen. But not exactly since the monitor can display 16.6 million colors and the printer is around 256 I think. But when you do the adjusting, and later when your editing the images, you should wear a neutral color shirt, since the hue of it is reflected in the monitor.

Then again if your using an lcd monitor, I dont think the adobe gamma thing changes anything but I could be wrong. You have to be picky about the angle you view the screen at.

Just shameless smugness here: This is why Macs are better for any work to do with images. They come with a built-in colour management system to make it a breeze to set up profiles for monitors, scanners and printers, making them all match. WYSIWYG! It's one of the things that Windows never seems to have really tackled properly, which suprises me.
But then the background of Macs has always been in Design whilst PCs has been Technical (The founder of Mac set up Pixar too!)

monitor adjustment is directly related to the available lighting around you. Most monitors have a kelvin adjustment. The program included with photoshop that the previous poster spoke of is adobe gamma which installs in your control panel and it tells you to do the adjustment with the lighting you are going to be working in.

I still use a CRT. LCDs are great monitors but still not sure how you work with photos using those. They drift so much when you move them at different angles. I guess the ones I have used are cheaper models.

Color managment has nothing to do with the issue of a monitors darkness. Over time, CRT's go dark. You can calibrate to your hearts content but it's not going to fix the dead phosphors.

Most reactions

Back