moon shots

Newsted

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey gang,
I was wondering how long I should leave my shutter open for shooting the moon?? Lets just say I have the aperature at 16 for one shot and 1.9 for another.. any thoughts??

The moon is at infinity which gives you pretty much unlimited DOF at any f/stop. So I'd think you'd want to pick one somewhere in the middle like f/8, or where ever you think the sweet spot is.

You want a fast shutter speed because the moon is hurtling around the Earth at a pretty good clip. I'm sure an astronomy site would have the info.

But anyway, using "sunny 16" (because the moon is being lit by the sun even if you aren't), if you are using ISO 100 film the correct exposure at f/8 would be 1/400th sec.

FULL MOON - For proper exposure of a full moon, set your aperture on 11 and your shutter speed as close to your films ISO rating as possible (ie. using ISO100 set to f/11 @ 1/125).

HALF MOON - Use the above rule for shutter speed and use an aperture of 8 for pictures of a half moon.

QUARTER MOON - Use the above rule for shutter speed and use an aperture of 5.6 for pictures of a quarter moon.

This is a general rule but to be assured of correct exposure bracket your shot or even shoot a test role. If you get it developed make sure you tell them not to compensate as it contains night shots.

The book has always said, "Remember that the moon is reflective sunlight. Therefore, F11 at 125 is recomended. Looks like your picture turned out just fine.
Chuck

I dont have any personal experience w/ this , but a while back i remember someone posting in regard to the same idea the moony 8th rule (i made the name up, but it works the same way as the sunny 16th but w/ 8 instead of 16)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back