What's new

More from the first excursion...

Jzero

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Location
On the coast of The Mediterranean Sea
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Probably my favorite subject matter.... beat up and derelict old buildings. Here are a few samples (opinions desired).
J
NisnassHome.jpg


Haifaruin.jpg


Haifadump.jpg
 
Kind of odd but nice to look at nonthe less.
 
In all of them, you can kind of tell that they're tough shooting conditions, but the blown-out sky's a bit of a drag....not much you can do about it now, and I don't know what kind of post-processing program you do have, but even a couple minutes messing with levels or whatnot can turn these from decent snapshots to decent photographs :)
 
In all of them, you can kind of tell that they're tough shooting conditions, but the blown-out sky's a bit of a drag....not much you can do about it now, and I don't know what kind of post-processing program you do have, but even a couple minutes messing with levels or whatnot can turn these from decent snapshots to decent photographs :)

These were all shot in overcast conditions. I am using very basic processing software such as the beta version of Adobe Lightroom and Google's Picasa2.

Can you please elaborate on "messing with levels". I have kept all the pictures in their original "as-shot" form and being new to the world of tweaking, I'd like to get an idea of how to turn a decent snapshot into a decent photograph.

Thanks
J
 
Well, I don't know what Lightroom or Picasa are like, but I mean adjustign things like contrast, if the program has a 'levels' option, then something like that. Basically, play around with a photograph you've taken with any tools you're given, and see what you like. Maybe take a look at one or two shots you like in particular and see if you can get yours to approach the 'way' it looks, and go from there :)
 
The second is a bit on the bright side and I get the feeling there is more in the sky that can be "modelled" out in Photoshop, if only a bit - same MIGHT apply to the last, but I am not so sure there. May I give it a try?

Oh, shouldn't I mentioned how much I like your choice of subjects???
 
The second is a bit on the bright side and I get the feeling there is more in the sky that can be "modelled" out in Photoshop, if only a bit - same MIGHT apply to the last, but I am not so sure there. May I give it a try?

Oh, shouldn't I mentioned how much I like your choice of subjects???

Hi LaFoto

I'm glad you like my subject matter, I find the old decrepid looking buildings to be photogenic and interesting.

Please do try to touch up my pictures a bit. I am really curious to see what can be done to them (and how it can be done). I am re-posting the same three pictures but in their original format (before I messed around with them). Thanks a lot.

J

IMG_0104.jpg


IMG_0150.jpg


IMG_0163.jpg
 
Here we go (and I find your originals all better than your first edits, the sky is still there! Thanks for letting me start from there!):

jzeroimg0104myedit.jpg


jzeroimg0150myedit.jpg


jzeroimg0163myedit.jpg


Now to tell you what I did ... shows my inability to use Photoshop properly to all the other members who are such PS-whizzes, so I feel ashamed, :oops:, but I mostly lassoed parts such as the sky as opposed to the buidings with a feather of 80px or so to get very smooth, hopefully non-exitent "borders" between what was treated later in the "Levels" and what was not, and thus worked on things selectively. But I now fear that those very, very versed in the use of PS will now detect a halo round the house in the first pic ... :blulsh2: - I mean, even I can see it now (and I swear it was not there yesterday! :shock: )

:wink:

Ah well, you might like my edits, all the same?
 
Thanks Corrina! This is absolutely great!! I can' t distinguish a halo from a soup spoon so to me this looks fine. Also, bear in mind that the lighting conditions weren't all that good to begin with but I am catching on to the principal involved in touching up a picture and that is why this is so important to me, so... I really do appreciate it. Thank you very much!

J
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom