What's new

More Ospreys, from a kayak in a river.

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 8, 2011
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
645
Location
the south
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok I will lay off the osprey after this.

1) this first image I thought had good detail, that included the head as well as wings, legs and feet. as well as fit inside a nice rectangular shape. probably will be my new favorite osprey in flight with blue sky background photo.
at1.jpg


2) just after ruffling feathers
at2.jpg


3) a normal perch
at3.jpg


4) an interesting crop, or maybe just different...
at4.jpg


5) showing the d800 dynamic range, lens pointed directly at the sun between the trees.
at5.jpg


poor osprey, but I wish I could have got better shots of this but it was way far in the sky
6)
at6.jpg


at7.jpg



proof, haha, taken by Randy R at Carolina Sports Photography
p1938567583-4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Great pictures. I really like # 1 and # 4
I don't know much about birds but was the bald eagle going after the osprey ?
 
Great pictures. I really like # 1 and # 4
I don't know much about birds but was the bald eagle going after the osprey ?

Yeah trying to steal the osprey's fish
 
What lens are you using for these
 
500mm f4 vr
 
From a kayak?!? Seriously? You definitely win--I tried going out on a boat for bird photos just once; it was a nice, decent size boat (room enough for 5 of us, anyway), not much chance of the gear ending up in the water, and he was specifically going to take us out to where some good birds were.
What I learned is that me and boats and photography aren't really a good mix, because...well...because boats MOVE, :lmao: --I could never keep my camera steady enough to get a decent shot!

In a kayak, I'd have to add to that the fear I'd have of capsizing and sending my gear for a swim. I've thought often that it would be the way to get out there to some of them, and while I've never kayaked, I've done plenty of canoeing and rafting in my life, but I'd just be too afraid of my gear ending up in the river.
 
Great series Matt! I must agree with Sharon, you win shooting from a Kayak :)
 
you just need 3 things. gear insurance, drybag, and to be careful.

a kayak probably has less issues than a boat for keeping steady. a boat deals with its own wake and is rarely very steady. in a calm river or lake my kayak is very steady, I have a boat seat in my kayak and I can sit for hours and be decently comfortable. its a little cramped being 9.5' and the 500mm between my legs and a large dry bag. the biggest problem is always moving with some sort of current. I rarely am on a lake that has no current, so the kayak is always drifting towards or away from my subject, as well as turning me the wrong way.

all and all, the possibilities of angles as well as getting close to subjects are greatly improved. you can basically drift up on wildlife and not scare them as much.
 
Mathew, great shots, please don't give up on the osprey shots. I like the first one and the one with the Bald Eagle.

WesternGuy
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom