More release type questions.

bnz506

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was in bed last night and I though of a photography project that I might want to pursue. I think its a good idea I just need to work out more of the details.

I searched "Model release" on this site and found a good form (which I hope I may modify a little and use, gj Efergoh):

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75952&highlight=model+release

There is no doubt this form is good when there is no doubt who the model is.

My question is what if you do street photography type work and you take a picture of your subject and get him or her to sign a release... but there are people around him/her in the picture, do you need to get a release from them as well?

example (not a very good one):
If my subject is the guy sleeping and I get him to sign a release Im good with him but what about all the other people in the photo where you can clearly see their faces would I need them to sign a release as well If I were to publish this photo in a book (if this project works out I might want to make it into a book not this photo though this is only an example).
sleepingtrainff8.jpg

I think thats all I have for now.

If you are making any kind of profit off of these pictures, it would be wise to get releases signed by everyone. There are to many money hungry, sue happy people out there ready to make money off of someone else's hard work.

If you are making any kind of profit off of these pictures, it would be wise to get releases signed by everyone. There are to many money hungry, sue happy people out there ready to make money off of someone else's hard work.

Any proceeds from the sale of images are unconnected with model or property releases. It makes no difference whether you sell the image for millions of pounds or give it away free - it's the use of the image that's the critical part.

I'd say that if you have a model release from the main subject - the guy sleeping - then you'll be fine in my opinion. The restriction may be on what the image is used for. Let's say an image is used to advertise a church or a sex web site. Then you would be implying that the people in the image would be endorsing or supporting that product/service/religion. If they're against whatever product/service then they could sue whether you make money from it or not.

The main subject has signed a release form allowing you to use the image for your own purposes (within reason as described above). The other people are in a public place and i don't think have any legal strength providing the following conditions are met
  • they are in a public place
  • you are in a public place
  • you are not being sneaky eg using a long telephoto
  • photography is allowed where you took the image from

I think if the main subject has signed your form then the others don't need to.

In Australia the rules are even more relaxed as far as I know. From what I've gathered it is perfectly fine to snap away and use the photo of an "un-posed subject" This means that not even the person sleeping needs to sign the form. However if I went up to him and said excuse me can you close your eyes, or do you mind me taking a picture I would need his express permission.

Mind you, you don't live in Australia, and I've seen some of the American laws. I wouldn't be surprised if you needed a signed document from the owner of the metro you're photographing in :D.

Most reactions

Back