motcon wrongly closes my critique thread.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by newrmdmike, Jun 24, 2007.

1. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    so,

if you choose to accept a critique someone gave does the thread die?

my answer:so far i'm not sure, the thread may or may not die, but im guessing it dies. if you want the critiques to keep coming keep your mouth shut about accepting their advice for your photo and your thread will live on.

can a digital representation of an organic work be passable as a finished product? and does it matter if a finished organic work (print)is in existance if the digital data (film scan) has already been obtained?

i believe so, as my critique thread is now open again.

2. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i also believe though that if this is going to be discussed in public that it should be moved to a new thread seperate from the messages etc that are posted above, as it may lead to unfair bias.

3. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i stand by my informed initial decision as it was clear by your statements that you weren't finished with the image.

call it a misunderstanding. call it what you will. the area is for finished work only.

everything in the personal messages states the above position very clearly.

do keep in mind...the personal message system is meant to be just that; personal. anyone who decides to air personal messages in public will simply be ignored by me. they will have to appeal to someone else.

all said and done, we came to an agreement, so the thread was opened.

4. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no one should, i think. allowing people to continually post in the incorrect forum knowing that the mods will clean it up is encouraging wrong behavior. is it not the responsibility of the poster to read the guidelines, then post appropriately? as much as i'd like to be altruistic enough to move every thread that doesn't belong, it isn't my/the mods responsibility. it really shouldn't be too much to ask for a potential poster to first read the guidelines.

further, i'd expect a new member to post more accurately and correctly than a seasoned veteran. it's easy to just whip around here and post 'where ever' if you've been here a while.

i do think you should post in feedback/suggestions, rather than singling out what i have done with which you took exception, even though the actions were by the guidelines.

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    why should it? the original poster of an image should be satisfied that he/she did everything to the best of his/her ability. posting an image with a disclaimer *this isn't the final image will cause the post to be closed. it isn't 'when an image is deemed final' that the post will be closed. it's when someone admits that a posted image isn't final that it will be closed. ideally, someone posts a photograph that was created with all mind, heart, and soul and that thread runs forever with varying critiques so that we all learn something. are we on the same page now?

yes, unless a person states, 'this is a scan, i plan to create a final improved print later in the darkroom.'

6. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With referance to the "Race" thread

Well I have a problem with the way that thread was handled.
    It did come across as a bit rude to me to be honest.

How about we try and be nice to new members, that way they might want to stay on this forum.

Maybe take a leaf out of LaFoto's book, see post #4 http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85725
    nice and polite and even a welcome to the forum.

7. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you were perfect up until that statement :)

if a person posts an image as final, we take it as final. the critiques of that image should run for as long as we have the ability to type. if the original poster says, 'yes, perhaps i should change that..', well, that is precisely why the forum exists and the thread will not be closed.

post an image as your final 'i've done everything that i can do' image, then let's all have some fun and learn.

8. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it isn't polite to inform the person that he/she posted in the wrong forum, then also give him/her a link to an appropriate forum? that was all that was done in that thread. i'd love for him/her to get feedback on his image, so i suggested a forum that is more appropriate.

9. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1. motcon, i'm only calling out the face to the official because thats what i had experience with . . . nothing against you really.

2."yes, unless a person states, 'this is a scan, i plan to create a final improved print later in the darkroom.' " (cool i quoted motcon paraphrasing or quoting me)

--well about that, if i scan it, and that scan is going to be what i use to present to you all does it matter if i havn't printed it in the darkroom yet? with regards to what originally got the thread closed - the contrast in the midtones - when i print it the midtones won't look like that. but what you get to see is a digital reproduction of my work. why does it matter if i havn't printed a final work or not when the scan that will be used to give a digital representation is already in existance? THE BOTTOM LINE IS I CAN'T SHOW A FINAL DARKROOM PRINT. even if i scan the print it would be different.

motcon, in the last post about 'you were perfect up to that point' or whatever, am i to understand that if i post a work that was complete in my mind, and someone suggested something that made me decide i should change it or whatever and i say "ok, i agree that should be changed, i think i'll fix that" the thread will stay open?

how is that different than in my thread saying i'll fix that in the darkroom? (even though that wasn't my intent in the comment, but to bring up that its a digital reproduction that doesn't accurately depict the prints tones, but i accept as a final for here)

---

10. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it's very different. a person posting an image that he/she doesn't believe to be complete is a work in progress. a person who posts an image as 'final' has truly done all that he/she can do with that image. he/she states, 'here is an image with which i am perfectly happy. i know of nothing further that i can do to improve it. please critique it.' that's when everyone benefits in learning.

when someone posts an image with a disclaimer, 'i know this area is messed up, i'll fix it later.' is that really a finished image? if it's posted as such, then how can anyone comment on that 'messed up' area? one can't, therefore; there's no learning to be had.

11. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    im moving this to the feedback section.... were all comments will be noted.

12. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

yay! thread move.

i disagree though, as for my image, i believe its as complete as it can get in digital form. and i'm happy with it, even though the midtones aren't accurately reflected. and i disagree that if one area is known to be imperfect in the creators mind that learning cannot be had in other areas.

i understand where your coming from i think, but were in a grey area here (pun intended :)) and that when its a digital recreation of a film product that there should be some leeway. I cant get the tones exactly the same as they print. i'm aware of that. However, should my being aware of that deny me critiques?